Notices

IMCO SCX Problem

Old 09-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMCO SCX Problem

Anybody with the SCX's have this problem? Bought two SCX's and installed. Two problems with one of the drives, first the problem drive shifts a lot harder than the other. This is livable but a pain. Now the real problem. I have had a mystery oil loss with this drive also. I replace o-rings and still have an oil loss. Found it yesterday will my boat was sitting in the garage. Oil is leaking out of the lower case. It's leaking through pin hole pores in the casting. Since the oil is Torco, it was hard to see until the lights in the garage hit it at an angle as i walked past. Tomorrow i'll see what IMCO has to say.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Advantage 575
Anybody with the SCX's have this problem? Bought two SCX's and installed. Two problems with one of the drives, first the problem drive shifts a lot harder than the other. This is livable but a pain. Now the real problem. I have had a mystery oil loss with this drive also. I replace o-rings and still have an oil loss. Found it yesterday will my boat was sitting in the garage. Oil is leaking out of the lower case. It's leaking through pin hole pores in the casting. Since the oil is Torco, it was hard to see until the lights in the garage hit it at an angle as i walked past. Tomorrow i'll see what IMCO has to say.
If its a casting issue or a lower unit issue...call Craig Wilson @ Wilson Performance Marine in FLA. We just got our lowers back from him, they blueprinted lowers....tremendous improvement in speed and handling over stock. The guys @ Wilson are top notch...and very professional.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TRL505
If its a casting issue or a lower unit issue...call Craig Wilson @ Wilson Performance Marine in FLA. We just got our lowers back from him, they blueprinted lowers....tremendous improvement in speed and handling over stock. The guys @ Wilson are top notch...and very professional.
Thanks, i'll give them a call
Old 09-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you replace your old shift cables? Might be the shifting issue? Mine both shift well with 40" props.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Are you running sc lowers or scx lowers on your scx uppers? If they were new from Imco I would hold them accountable vs calling a third party in Fla. I remember the early B-max drives having porosity problems too, I am sure these housings are probably cast in Mexico or something . These things happen, Smitty
Old 09-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Registered

my levels have dropped slowly also , havent seen visably leaking ?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
Did you replace your old shift cables? Might be the shifting issue? Mine both shift well with 40" props.
Installed new shift cables. I even switched the drives around and still one shifts hard. Dave at IMCO said they have had problems with shifting
Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by articfriends
Are you running sc lowers or scx lowers on your scx uppers? If they were new from Imco I would hold them accountable vs calling a third party in Fla. I remember the early B-max drives having porosity problems too, I am sure these housings are probably cast in Mexico or something . These things happen, Smitty
SCX lowers.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Getting ready to fill mine for the first time. Maybe I should do it now and see if it weeps.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:03 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crap! I was just reading yesterday about someone having a shifting problem with the SCX and it turned out to be an internal rubber spacer? They cut it in half on advice from Imco and problem solved? I wish I could have more details and can't seem to find the thread but I'll keep looking for it.

Hey Mr Gadgets, I hear your the man to talk to on a great deal for the SCX's? What's the best way to contact you regarding a possible purchase of 2 uppers and bells?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.