removing alpha drive ? >

removing alpha drive ?

Notices

removing alpha drive ?

Old 03-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing alpha drive ?

I am taking off the starboard side lower unit in the process of replacing the gimbal ring. Does the shifter lever have to be in the forward position or reverse? i read it being done both ways. working on 94 scarab with twin 350 with alpha one gen 2 drives agiain on the starboard side. Thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Registered

full forward
Old 03-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Registered

ok thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your impeller while you're there.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Registered

Default fixx

when removing yes as stated in forward gear...try not to touch the prop after removing,take a note which direction the prop locks when in gear,one Way will ratchet and the other way will lock,take a note which direction locks because you may need to turn the input shaft to line up the splines with the coupler,also pack the splines with merc spline Greece b4 installing the drive.

if you so happen to spin the prop it will knock the drive out of gear,then you will have to lock it back into forward gear and turn the shifting foot that is on the front side of the drive under the u joints,this little foot has to be facing forward or you will not be able to get the drive on all the way..

Last edited by FIXX; 03-17-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

pull on the prop as if you were backing the boat up. holds the drive in forward gear.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 03-19-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Registered

Ok hooded on to the boat today to start working on it tomorrow. My next question is that when I raise my lower units all the way (trailer) the bolts that hold the bar on that connects the lower units together hit the housing where it says alpha on up top. This causing a little gouge on each side of the housing. I am replacing the gimbal ring and using the jr marine gimbal kit and I don't want it to hit the cover plate and gouge it. Is there a way to keep them from coming up quiet so high??
Old 03-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by chevytrucks94
Ok hooded on to the boat today to start working on it tomorrow. My next question is that when I raise my lower units all the way (trailer) the bolts that hold the bar on that connects the lower units together hit the housing where it says alpha on up top. This causing a little gouge on each side of the housing. I am replacing the gimbal ring and using the jr marine gimbal kit and I don't want it to hit the cover plate and gouge it. Is there a way to keep them from coming up quiet so high??
the only way to keep the tie bar from moving is to either thenten the pi$$ out of the nuts the ane saddles are attached to or if you have the saddles that are shaped like a house which move around as little,replace them with the square style that bravos have,,i dont know it they make that style for alphas but you can check with your tiebar mfr and see if they have a fix for it.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Registered

Exact instructions can be found online with great pics. Sterdrives.com? I think?
Old 03-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
the only way to keep the tie bar from moving is to either thenten the pi$$ out of the nuts the ane saddles are attached to or if you have the saddles that are shaped like a house which move around as little,replace them with the square style that bravos have,,i dont know it they make that style for alphas but you can check with your tiebar mfr and see if they have a fix for it.
Its not the tie bar that's movimg and gouging the housing it is the bolts that come off the top of the drive then the tie bar sits on the drive then there are nuts holding the tie bar to the top of the drive. The nuts are what are catching the housing when the drives are all the way up in trailer mode. If the drives are up perfectly straight its fine but if drive are turnes ar all they hit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.