Notices

Wilson Lowers

Old 05-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCX Lower

Have you had good success in redoing the new IMCO SCX lowers ?
Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i tried to work mine with sand paper and lots of love thinking i could do "blue printing" and ran hard 3-4 times with zero results... i finally sent my imco lowers to craig at wilson custom and he literally made love to these things, gained me 3 mph without pushing the boat, made my boat handle 10x better, and says if i send him the props there is more to come............ my drives look nothing like stock imcos anymore..... WCM are lower genuises, worth every penny
Old 05-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Registered

Default SCX Lowers

Anyone have a single engine boat with the SCX lower that has had Wilson blue print their lower?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
explain what and how you did the profile proccess with,,,great job
Hi TWIN-SPINS,
My preferred weapon of choice for roughing out is a bosch electric dye grinder with a coarse aluminium burr, the finer detail work is done with a small air dye grinder with smoother burrs. The straight lines are achieved with a course body file followed by a second cut half round file, i then use a rubbing block for the outer radiuses and then a broom stale wrapped in production paper for the internal corners finished of with scotch brite. All of the above processes require good hand eye co-ordination as Craig has pointed out Wilson Custom Marine has been doing this for many years and have great crudentials in this area. I like to make and modify as many components for my own boats as possible and i don't mind too much if it doesn't work out first time i can always weld them up and try a new shape, not something i would reccomend unless you have the time and facilities.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails Wilson Lowers-dsc05172.jpg   Wilson Lowers-dsc05173.jpg   Wilson Lowers-dsc05174.jpg  

Wilson Lowers-dsc05175.jpg  
Old 05-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Registered

This thread is very interesting & look forward to more posts....... especially the pics!!!
Sound to me like WCM knows what they're doing.
Would love to see them post a few pics of the drives they are working on?

Thanks, Tim Bostic
Hoss Marine Props

p.s. Thanks Peter for sharing your stuff.

Last edited by Tim Bostic; 05-28-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

peterunwin...im curious about the rounded trailing edges. I thought those were meant to be squared off and sharp? Like a planing hull vs displacement hull. It was my impression that at speed there would be an air void on the trailing edge.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRider
peterunwin...im curious about the rounded trailing edges. I thought those were meant to be squared off and sharp? Like a planing hull vs displacement hull. It was my impression that at speed there would be an air void on the trailing edge.
Hi JRider,
The thinking behind re-shaping the rear of the lower units is to try and reduce the turbulent waterflow to the props ideally i would like to do this over a much longer distance to make it a much more gradual transition but i would need to strip the drives and check wall thicknesses before removing any more material. I have had excellent results re-shaping the Volvo DPR lowers on our diesel boat which used to suffer quite bad propeller erosion. To me modyfing and testing new ideas is a really fun part of boating sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

All the best
Peter
Attached Thumbnails Wilson Lowers-dsc04916.jpg   Wilson Lowers-dsc04930.jpg   Wilson Lowers-dsc04932.jpg  

Wilson Lowers-dsc04957.jpg   Wilson Lowers-dsc05100.jpg  
Old 06-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Registered

anyone have a picture of an imco sc lower redone by wilson? results?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by La/stryker
anyone have a picture of an imco sc lower redone by wilson? results?
The first two are of a Wilson Imco. The second two pics are of the work I did on mine. I've tweaked my water inlet just a bit since. I'm poor this summer or I'd have sent it to Wilson.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Registered

did you pick up any speed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.