Drive alignment Toe in or Toe out >

Drive alignment Toe in or Toe out

Notices

Drive alignment Toe in or Toe out

Old 06-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts
Smile Drive alignment Toe in or Toe out

Searched ALL of OSO and seems like there is no agreement on which way outdrives should be aligned, toe in or toe out. Actually no one even agrees what the definition of "toe in and toe out" even is! Plus some say it depends on V or cat. Some say it depends on if your props spin IN or OUT. Then Reggie Fountain wrote that all drives should be adjusted the same no matter what rotation! About the only part of any answer that has a majority is 1/16th to 1/8th in. I understand all boats are different but having a baseline to go off of would be nice.

In each reply could you PLEASE define what "IN" or "OUT" is

PLEASE describe WHY you recommend what you do

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO Toe in is forward tip of drive in towards center line of boat, toe out away from center. Props spinning out wants to pull drive out so toe in, opposite for spinning in. Mine are set at 1/8" toe in, 32' cat spinning out.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:01 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

been wondering same. what is the 1/8th inch? diff between propshaft centers and nosecone centers? and both of mine spin cw. do i toe it straight? i could toe 1 in and 1 out, but it would go around in circles...

Last edited by dereknkathy; 06-25-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:31 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, first you have to determine that they are straight. I measure each side tip of prop shaft to trailing edge point of keel and transom, then both prop shafts and leading points of each drive must be equal measurements. On a V hull I would go from prop shafts th lowest point at keel and transom. Once that is determined then adjust each side in or out same amount using tie bar hiems. Derek for your twin CW set up I would say do the straightening adjustments and let it go at that. Any thing after that is corrected at the wheel. Drives aren't fighting against each other. IMO
Old 06-25-2012, 11:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
IMO Toe in is forward tip of drive in towards center line of boat, toe out away from center. Props spinning out wants to pull drive out so toe in, opposite for spinning in. Mine are set at 1/8" toe in, 32' cat spinning out.
Thanks for the reply but still confused here.

So nosecones closer together "toe in"
Props spin out
Props pull apart pushing nose cones together
so thats why you toe in?

Some say that you should toe the nosecones out if the props spin out so that after the props pull away from each other the drives will straighten out from the force of the torque?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

I hate to contradict another guy's advice - especially when the answer may be right in his circumstances.

On a 33 Outlaw, I would say that the drives should be 1/8" closer together at the REAR (measured at the center of the propshaft). This is because, at the 70mph speed range, the water flow is separated ito RH and LH streams by the vee of the hull, passes over the drives, and moves back together towards the center behind the boat. At the point of the outdrives, the water flow is already trying to move back towards center. If the drives are perfectly straight, they will incur significant side force squeezing them together. Slightly aiming the drives back towards center eliminates this side load and is easier on the gimbals.

At speeds over 100, the equation changes a little, but for the speeds this boat will run, I think it is better served by the above recommendation.

MC
Old 06-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Registered

Does 102 count as over 100? Thats the goal at least, been very close.....updates soon.

Well Thats how I have my drives set and will let everyone know how it works. I had my Imco's rebuilt and while reinstalling a friend decided to play with the tie bar so I do not know how they used to be
adjusted. But the boat ran amazing before so lets hope it runs at least as good or better now!

I still would love to learn reasons why drives need to be toed a certain direction. So far I have gathered
Direction of prop rotation
V hull wake drives need to have nose cones closer together to follow the direction of the water
V hull wake drives need to have props closer together due to the water reemerging back to the center
Old 06-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Registered

Still have not figured this one out.

So first I want to understand what forces the props have on the drives. For example. If the props are spinning out do they PUSH the props closer together which pulls the nose cones apart or...

Do the props grab the water and pull outward forcing the nose cones together and spacing the props further apart?

Once I understand this I can understand how I want to toe my drives. I need to just try them each way and see but I never got around to it last summer.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

to answer your prop question what ever direction the lower half of the prop is moving it will pull the drive in opposite direction, so a clockwise rotating prop wants to move the rear of the drive to the right. I hope thats not confusing.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

your both saying the same thing,,,,one is talking about the front of the drive being out from center line,,,and another is talking about the rear of the drive being closer together

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.