Bravo derivative to handle 750HP >

Bravo derivative to handle 750HP

Notices

Bravo derivative to handle 750HP

Old 04-03-2013, 02:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by La/stryker
too bad someone just want cut some bravo gears out of a stronger metal. what would happen if a person could buy gears for their imco scx upper and sc lower with gears made from Titanium, inconel or even Tungsten carbide? i know they would be very pricey but strong as heck, the last very$. there are many other very strong metals that would fit the bill. i would pay 3 times (or more) $ for hard gears! if the gears are the major weak point, build them stronger. maybe im just missing something and should buy the scx lower thats shaped like a sperm whales head! someone please set me straight
Great idea....

What you are missing is that XR gearsets made of titanium, inconnel, unobtanium etc, are like unicorns, atlantis, and girlfriends that actually earn money.

They dont exist.

You can cryo and rem polish but it is what it is.

It takes an unbelievable amount of money to make gear-sets or you'd see them ripped off a lot more.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 04-03-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Great idea....

What you are missing is that XR gearsets made of titanium, inconnel, unobtanium etc, are like unicorns, atlantis, and girlfriends that actually earn money.

They dont exist.

You can cryo and rem polish but it is what it is.

It takes an unbelievable amount of money to make gear-sets or you'd see them ripped off a lot more.

Uncle Dave
i agree they dont exist but wonder why imco and others dont check it out. maybe its stupid money but ill be damned if i put a scx lower on my boat. i would really like for someone to tell me the actual cost. i also believe you are probably right that someone would have already done it by now if it was cost effective. i work in the aviation industry and know what things have been done in the past to solve problems. the stock bravo gears are sh-t and just wondering with all the technology if someone could come up with something better! btw i did hear some rumors from boost power, but not counting on it.
i have done some research on the net (which is usually BS) about some companys that can copy gears in different metals and will follow up on it. but im not having a good gut feeling on it. we shall see. thx
Old 04-03-2013, 05:08 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

smitty on here is working on stronger XR gears and hopes to have them out by the end of june at the earliest. I hope so because my Imco Sc's could use stronger upper and lower gears, or its Arneson or SCX for me also.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
smitty on here is working on stronger XR gears and hopes to have them out by the end of june at the earliest. I hope so because my Imco Sc's could use stronger upper and lower gears, or its Arneson or SCX for me also.
i cant wait to hear more about this
Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
on a twin application if driven correct the xrs will survive
(not directed at you Johnny)
This is my favorite quote that shows up in all "bravo" threads.

...if you bought a corvette, would you baby it?
...if you bought a ferrari, would you baby it?

Every time I get in my boat I slap the sticks forward and hope for the best. The last time out in 3 footers I never overrevved the engines once, not even a blip in RPM and I still broke a tooth in flat water when I cam back in the intracoastal. There is more to it than babying the throttles, the gears just plain suck. (mine were even cryoed)
Old 04-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

There is some great CNC technology that can be used to cut new gears, the problem is we need a good set of data to work from. I checked on using some of the latest surface scanning technology but it doesn't provide a smooth surface, it's stepped. So creating a working model is a lot of work. If someone can get me a set of good gears, I can get them scanned if someone wants to spend hours smoothing all the surfaces of each tooth. I will be glad to help in any way I can I have some money I would be willing to spend on this. I have a number of gear manufacturers in the Southeast Michigan area that might be able to do this reasonably. I've talked to some guys who know their metallurgy and they recommend billet S7 with a Nitride treatment. I am open to any ideas anyone has at this point
Old 04-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've never chipped a tooth, but have broke a bunch of floors on stock bravos, so any improvement there would be great. I'm the same I drive my boat like its a race boat throttle hard but I pick my moments and keep a spare drive ready at all times just incase I need it
Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by La/stryker
too bad someone just want cut some bravo gears out of a stronger metal. what would happen if a person could buy gears for their imco scx upper and sc lower with gears made from Titanium, inconel or even Tungsten carbide? i know they would be very pricey but strong as heck, the last very$. there are many other very strong metals that would fit the bill. i would pay 3 times (or more) $ for hard gears! if the gears are the major weak point, build them stronger. maybe im just missing something and should buy the scx lower thats shaped like a sperm whales head! someone please set me straight
None of those will work well for a gear set. S7 tool steel would be a good place to start. I also don't believe it would be hard to make a set. With the latest CNC mill turns it would be easy the make, however getting a good working 3D model to program from is the hard part.

Cheers,

Waid
Old 04-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wolford
None of those will work well for a gear set. S7 tool steel would be a good place to start. I also don't believe it would be hard to make a set. With the latest CNC mill turns it would be easy the make, however getting a good working 3D model to program from is the hard part.

Cheers,

Waid
i know nothing about metallurgy i was just thinking something else could be used for the gears. no worries guys, just wondering. apperently someone is working on this, thx smitty. im excited about what could comes of this!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Registered

If anyone here has the ability to digitize a bravo gear set, I would be interested in speaking with you about machining a set.

Waid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.