Arneson or IMCO help?

Notices

Arneson or IMCO help?

Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
Kwright, what was your total expense minus the windshield? In just curious if you don't mind. A local guy had fpm raise his x 5", install the cat killer strainer and pickup, and new scoops on his hatch. I heard the boat is on rails after they set it up but the price I heard (3rd party) was $$$$$$$$$$$$
I won't quote price on here. Did that on my drives and it started allot of crap! This is the time of year to shop you can make your best deals now at the end of season. They also did the strainer and pickup on my boat, I will say this it is priced in that same range as any other quality strainer and pickup once again labor rates were very fair. They even quoted me how long it would take and stuck to the quote, no surprises there. Call Wyatt or R3 and talk to them very nice people. All I know is when I got my boat back it worked, the day I picked it up we went out for a test ride to make sure I was happy, and it wasn't a little blast around the bay it was a whole morning of pushing it hard.
A deal is no deal if it doesn't work. Sometimes a little money spent up front will save you alot in the end!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 575cat
Are there any 38 donzis out there to compare to ? thats like where are the fountain arneson boats ???? I know they had to build 1 or two but you never here how they perform .
+1

Peter01, Talk to people who have done(bought and paid for) the conversions, get their view. then make a informed decision on what meets your criteria.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I heard about a Donzi with the SCX-4's on it but I never saw any results.
I gained 2MPH with a backyard blueprint. I think I'll find 2 more with a different set of props and pick up tweaking.
Time will tell if the drive holds up but so far so good and I've been hard on it.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by KWright
A deal is no deal if it doesn't work. Sometimes a little money spent up front will save you alot in the end!
Very well put. That fits so perfect with the cost to have Reggie dial in your boat. Yes its a lot of Labor cost up front compared to installing drives yourself, but in the long run it can pay off.

Trying to dial in your own boat can nickle and dime you.

If you want easy to dial in, turn key, stick to as close to the original design, or copy another proven boat (which is hard to find info on sometimes).

I just want the OP and others looking at drive upgrades to understand that the Arneson or the SCX-4 are very similar in cost and labor to install and dial in on most boats. Yes some boats might need fiberglass work for either drive to get the perfect drive height.

Fountain owners are lucky to have Reggie around.

Never heard of a Donzi Daytona expert like Reggie. If the OP had a 38ZR it would be much easier to dial in either of the surface style drives.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by KWright
I won't quote price on here. Did that on my drives and it started allot of crap! This is the time of year to shop you can make your best deals now at the end of season. They also did the strainer and pickup on my boat, I will say this it is priced in that same range as any other quality strainer and pickup once again labor rates were very fair. They even quoted me how long it would take and stuck to the quote, no surprises there. Call Wyatt or R3 and talk to them very nice people. All I know is when I got my boat back it worked, the day I picked it up we went out for a test ride to make sure I was happy, and it wasn't a little blast around the bay it was a whole morning of pushing it hard.
That's good info, and a great experience. Glad to hear there is no price gouging for the name on the door. I'm not really in the market for any of their services but good to know who's who and who to reccomend. Thanks for the reply
Old 11-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies.
I talked to Donzi about Arnesons and was told they did testing with Arnesons some years ago, but with diesels only.
I talked to Arneson to get some info on Donzi/Arneson combos. They have some customers but ZR's which is a narrower boat with offset engines so I'm not sure the info would fit my boat.
I lost my first post. Too slow typing I guess. The Donzi is a Daytona model so it has extension boxes.