TRS drive won't come off!!

Notices

TRS drive won't come off!!

Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally
Attached Thumbnails TRS drive won't come off!!-20121111_201728.jpg   TRS drive won't come off!!-20121111_201622.jpg   TRS drive won't come off!!-20121111_201649.jpg  

TRS drive won't come off!!-20121111_201704.jpg   TRS drive won't come off!!-20121111_201714.jpg  
Old 11-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the 4X4 didn't work, at least not by hand like the video on YouTube. It just doesn't lay in there like a bravo. It will wedge in there but ill have to use the rams to slowly wedge it in and hopefully force it out.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try the other way I explaned in post #17 using a 1" x 1" about 15" long? That way usually works well. As Rookie said you may have to get aggresive with it bouncing it on the wood.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff32
maybe the splines on the shaft are twisted in the tranny input? I once had the same trouble can't remember why... had to unbolt tranny from engine, move engine forward, then was able to move tranny forward to let the drive free... corrosion was also a fact that did not help...
I agree, theres nothing there but the splines and they must be twisted just enough -
Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Did you try the other way I explaned in post #17 using a 1" x 1" about 15" long? That way usually works well. As Rookie said you may have to get aggresive with it bouncing it on the wood.
I tried putting wood there, I've tried putting it everywhere. I don't know what you mean by aggresive but I can probably get a little more abusive with it.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Registered

I wonder if the rear bearing spun and welded itself on the yoke shaft - There is a snap-ring holding the bearing in the tail shaft but I dont' thing you can get to it when the motor/trans is in

PS - I have a spare TRS LH drive for sale if needed
Old 11-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Registered

Here's what I've got so far. The bottom on some of the pics goes out as far as the top of the stud and the top of the drive never hits the nuts that I barely have threaded on to keep the drive from falling when I yank the chit out of it. I tried the wood thing, at least I think I have so I took a pic of where I think the wood would go. Obvious the 4X4 goes on top so I'll try that when I can have someone trim up the motors while I carefully inspect.

Note: Last year when the tranny came out for a rebuild on the other drive, the guys never said anything about having trouble with getting the drive off.
Attached Thumbnails TRS drive won't come off!!-photo-1.jpg   TRS drive won't come off!!-photo-2.jpg   TRS drive won't come off!!-photo-3.jpg  

TRS drive won't come off!!-photo-4.jpg   TRS drive won't come off!!-photo-5.jpg  
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you have the wood in there correctly. Assume you dropped it from 4-5 inches several times against the wood.

Here's something else you could try. Get a nylon tow strap with the loops in the ends. Wrap it over the top of the drive and connect the loops to a pick up preferably one with hooks on the front so you can watch whats going on. With a little slack in the strap hit the gas for a second and just let the rolling weight tighten the strap and give it a pop.
OR
Get a come-a-long and connect it in the same fashion with a tow strap and crank it down and see what happens.

It needs to come off the studs fairly straight or it will get in a bind on the studs which could be whats going on.

The drive shaft is pretty much centered between the 2 top studs so thats where you need to be pulling mostly, obviously.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a drive stuck before in a merc II trans . Rusted yoke to the bearing. I finally put a come along on it and cranked the crap out of it and it was still stuck on. Left to go to dinner out of frustration with all the tension still on it, thought I might have cut the tail stock in half some how. When I came back it was lying on the floor. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Registered

Got my dad coming over this weekend, so I'm going to try all those ideas then. I forgot about the come along idea, only problem is my boat is sitting where there is nothing to fasten the other end to so I'll have to do some rearranging. I'll keep you guys posted.

Why would it come out some but not all? If it was siezed up wouldn't it not move out at all?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.