TRS drive won't come off!! >

TRS drive won't come off!!

Notices

TRS drive won't come off!!

Old 11-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TRS drive won't come off!!

I'm taking my drives off to repaint them over the winter. The port drive has been off last year when the tranny was rebuilt(least that's what they told me) and the starboard side I have to no clue when its been off last. So I started with the starboard side got everything off, the rams, external steering basically its just hanging freely right now. Transmissions are in neutral, not that it matters, all six bolts are off and I got the drive to move about 1/2 off but no more after that. I've tried prying and pulling and prying and pulling, it moves freely which is wierd but it won't move any farther out then what it is. I'm not sure how much more the housing and drive can take of me trying to get it off.

Any suggestions.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing there is besides the lines to the rams, rams and 6 bolts is a small ground wire for the mercathode that goes from the bell housing to the upper.
In a moment, I will send a picture up to show you what the upper side that meets the bell housing looks like.
There is a friction connection between for the drive reservoir...but that should not provide any resistance. It is a small pin going into a seal on the bell side.
Did you disconnect the bellow?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^
Just stripped my TRS's. 6 nuts, the trim-ram pin and the exh bellow if it hasnt already fallen off. Theyll come with some persuasion. I had quite a bit of corrosion between the stainless studs and aluminum housing.Maybe soak them with Kroil
Old 11-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im suprised a 1988 Formula doesnt have a Bravo 1 drive.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How big of a space can you get between the drive and bell housing. Something you can try is use a block of wood at the top of the drive between the drive top and transom assembly. Watch how this guy does it in this vid however it is a bravo drive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZibn...ature=youtu.be
Another way is to put a block of wood at the top and with your trim cylinders connected extend them to push it off.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Me...ES)/parts.html

I pay far less for these parts....but now you have a better resource.

Image sux, but it is an easy job. My first one took about two hours.....now I can do one faster than I can box it up and ship it out....
Old 11-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

maybe the splines on the shaft are twisted in the tranny input? I once had the same trouble can't remember why... had to unbolt tranny from engine, move engine forward, then was able to move tranny forward to let the drive free... corrosion was also a fact that did not help...
Old 11-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!!
Im suprised a 1988 Formula doesnt have a Bravo 1 drive.
most likely has 420 motors .thats what they put behind them in 88 they didnt feel the bravos would last
Old 11-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by commandersander
The only thing there is besides the lines to the rams, rams and 6 bolts is a small ground wire for the mercathode that goes from the bell housing to the upper.
In a moment, I will send a picture up to show you what the upper side that meets the bell housing looks like.
There is a friction connection between for the drive reservoir...but that should not provide any resistance. It is a small pin going into a seal on the bell side.
Did you disconnect the bellow?
Didn't disconnect the bellow, I read on another thread that if need be I could tear it apart and disconnect the yoke to get the drive off, but still have to deal with the stuck spline.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
How big of a space can you get between the drive and bell housing. Something you can try is use a block of wood at the top of the drive between the drive top and transom assembly. Watch how this guy does it in this vid however it is a bravo drive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZibn...ature=youtu.be
Another way is to put a block of wood at the top and with your trim cylinders connected extend them to push it off.
That guy makes it look way to easy, I'll try the 4X4 block tomorrow and if that dosen't work then I'll hook the rams back up and try letting the trim do the work. Although using the trim rams kind of scares me, seems like it shouldn't be this hard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.