trs driveshaft/bell housing question

Notices

trs driveshaft/bell housing question

Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default trs driveshaft/bell housing question

I recently bought some boat parts as part of a package deal and I ended up with a set of bellhousings that look identical to my Bravo mag motor bellhsg but they came with a pair of driveshafts with slip yokes that are 11-13" long from compressed to extended, Did trs boats use the same bell hsg as Bravo boats, did they use driveshafts about that length to couple the transmission. These have what I would say to be 1350 series u-joints in them too so I don't think they were on a boat with stellings boxes as mine had 1410 U-joints, Smitty
Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Post pics smitty.....sounds like it could be a merc trans TRS driveshaft
Old 12-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bellhousings are completely different. For one thing TRS don't shift through the bell. In a stock setup they don't use a slip joint driveshaft. That's if I'm understanding what you mean by a slip joint.
Attached Thumbnails trs driveshaft/bell housing question-trs-r.jpg  

Last edited by picklenjim; 12-12-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

these almost sound like someone made these to replace a borg warner trans same idea as joe27baja is doing in another thread . matter of fact he might be interested in them
Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Bellhousings are completely different. For one thing TRS don't shift through the bell. In a stock setup they don't use a slip joint driveshaft. That's if I'm understanding what you mean by a slip joint.
When I said slip yoke I meant like a slip yoke like a truck would have on its drive shaft, these have a companion flange w/u joint, slip yoke and another companion flange with a u joint, looks just like a drive shaft off a boat with a stellings box but only 11" long compressed and 13" extended, Smitty
I just looked back thru my old post from 2006 when I wasted my time putting a extension box on my boat and I see the drive shaft WAS 11-13" long on mine so these must be Stellings box drive shafts, interesting.

Last edited by articfriends; 12-12-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:54 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Smitty,
Look at inboard boats with small blocks. You may find your answer there.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...8M0062%2DG8%29

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...8M0061%2DG8%29

I just went through a search for parts on this subject. It used the type of bellhousing shown and the driveshaft in the second link. This setup was used in a 36' Cat with the motors moved forward.

Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 12-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dick, these driveshafts look just like the ones on your second link but the bellhousings are definately 1998 bravos , not ones like you linked, I bought the stuff in a package deal from someone that had no idea what the stuff went to, either way I have to 11-13" driveshafts like pictured and a couple of bravo bellhousings for sale if anyone needs them , I am convinced these were on a boat with Stellings boxes. I also have two pairs of low hour CMI e-tops with tails that may be for sale soon too reasonably if the guy I have them sold to backs out, Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 12-16-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Registered

Bellhousings are completely different. For one thing TRS don't shift through the bell.
Sorry thought you were talking about drive bellhousings.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sorry thought you were talking about drive bellhousings.
Thanks for your input anyways though, its guys trying to help like me,you, gadgets and the others that make this website and I have done the same thing , jumped in with a answer only to realize I was thinking of the wrong thing , thanks for contributing though, Smitty
Old 12-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Registered

It's my pleasure Smitty! The bellhousing in the first link, part #8 was used with a TRS application where a Borg-Warner trans bolted directly to it.

That bellhousing was also used with the extension support (#1 in first link) in a Alpha/Bravo application where the engine was extended forward in the boat. Used with it was the drive shaft and associated parts in the second link.

So if that is the driveshaft setup you have it's for where the engine is located farther forward in a Alpha/Bravo boat and needs the supports on both ends, #1 and #8 in first link and #7 in second link to use with it.

Last edited by picklenjim; 12-17-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.