trs vs konrad x dimension >

trs vs konrad x dimension

Notices

trs vs konrad x dimension

Old 12-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trs vs konrad x dimension

so i pulled the motors, drives and trans out of the old 12 meter a few weeks ago to have trans rebuilt, and new valve springs put in the engine's.... my question is what is the difference in x dimension between the trs that was standard on the boat and the konrads that are on it now, i kno konrad sells spacers and im wondering if i put the lower unit down a little bit if the drives will hold up better?!?!? thoughts comments thanks!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by performance334
so i pulled the motors, drives and trans out of the old 12 meter a few weeks ago to have trans rebuilt, and new valve springs put in the engine's.... my question is what is the difference in x dimension between the trs that was standard on the boat and the konrads that are on it now, i kno konrad sells spacers and im wondering if i put the lower unit down a little bit if the drives will hold up better?!?!? thoughts comments thanks!!!
Not sure what you mean ''hold up better''? Do you mean hook up better like for planing?

On a old 12 meter, I'd think the higher drive height with props turning inwards would be the way to go. What speed and engine RPM are you seeing now?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Registered

myself and previous owners have had problems with the lower units letting go....the boats performance is perfect i dont want to change a thing.. just looking to get a lill more life out of the drives if at all possible, would putting the spacers on and moving prop down help with this at all??
Old 12-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have new 2" spacers for konrad $1,000 for both and one gimble $1,500

Last edited by kidapache; 12-17-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:44 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what is the difference in x dimension between the trs that was standard on the boat and the konrads that are on it now
X dimension on the transom would still be the same. You need to check how far the prop shaft is below the bottom of the boat. Hold a straight edge against the bottom of the boat extending out the back and trim the drive to where the prop shaft is parallel to the straight edge. Then measure the distance between the straight edge and the prop shaft. If I remember correctly a Konrad is 1.6" shorter than a TRS. As for the best distance to run the prop shaft below the bottom on that boat I have no clue. Hopefully someone else can chime in with that figure. Are you running cleavers?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Registered

ok got you ill have to check that measurement once she is back together... but just as a general question do you think its better for drive life to be lower in the water?? i think i have herd it is slower, but that is not really my concern....

thanks again for any input!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Propshafts 1" below the bottom on my old 38 with speed master iv's. 180 hours on them with between 650-800hp. Still tight and no fuzz on the magnets. My guess is your props are quite a bit deeper than mine with your Konrad setup. In general, deeper would be easier on them if you boat in rough water

How much hp you putting thru them? How many hours you getting out of them?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

You are not surfacing the Konrads?

I had been contemplating the Konrad swap but yet have had any issues over 3 years with my TRS and 600HP. I will see this summer when I add superchargers.