Drive wont back on >

Drive wont back on

Notices

Drive wont back on

Old 05-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive wont back on

just fitted a HP gimble and bell new G bearing /stainless steel swivel pin ,bellows the hole nine yards ,now i cant get the drive back on ,wont go the last inch , it just rocks on the center studs . i dont have a alignment tool will the input shaft on my spare upper work if i take it off . i have heard you can ajust bearing but i am sure i have nocked bearing back s far as it will go so how do you tweak the bearing ? This is a Pantera it has solid offshore mounts i dont think the motor has move . Thanks for any help

Last edited by paul buckner; 05-06-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Need an alignment tool.

Where are you located?

Hopefully someone will have one local
Old 05-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your gimble bearing just needs to be aligned . The spare shaft will not give you any leverage to move the bearing . See if you can borrow rent or buy the tool .
Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Registered

Shell out 30 bucks and buy one from whoya. He's got a lot of other good tools as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAVO-ALPHA-...item41564b4b02
Old 05-06-2013, 01:14 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Shell out 30 bucks and buy one from whoya. He's got a lot of other good tools as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAVO-ALPHA-...item41564b4b02
Second that, got mine from him.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 AM
Registered

Thanks guys i live in England not too many Merc/mec around here probley take me a week to hunt one down .
since posting i did look up Gimble bearing alignment , think i have got it now ,didnt know the inner part of the bearing swiveled round . Thanks again guys . paul
Old 05-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Registered

Ok drive back on after i got hold of a alignment bar from a mer /shop just down the road from me real nice guy just lent it to me Get a load of this , The first place i went to said i didnt need a alignment tool after i explained what i wanted to do , he said only need alignment tool if motor has moved ,dont need one if i have just replaced Gimble bearing , He said he has been working on brvos 20 years just ram it in and give it a good kick , i tried to explain about the eyeball being out of line but he was not haveing any of it . i left his shop sharpish won't be takeing anything to him to fix .
Old 05-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah.......don't want him working on my boat !!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

the o ring on the shaft can cause the same crap, makes it hard to slide back on.ive had the same thing happen and just to check pulled the o rings off the shaft and she went right on, so I put them back on and backed that sob into a wall they slid all the way on then.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

just kindin, greased the o rings and cussed and wiggled the drive till it slid in where I got the nuts on the equally tightend them down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.