Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Ordered Tie Bar- how do I adjust it? >

Ordered Tie Bar- how do I adjust it?

Notices

Ordered Tie Bar- how do I adjust it?

Old 08-25-2013, 05:28 PM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Michigan and Elk Rapids
Posts: 404
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered Tie Bar- how do I adjust it?

I have an Eddie Marine saddle mount tie bar on order. They are back ordered but they said two weeks and that was about two ago, so I am hopeful of getting it soon.

When I install it, how do I adjust it? The distance between the drives measures 34.5 from center of one outdrive to the other, measured at the center of the transom plate assembly directly above the Mercruiser decal. When I set up the tie bar, do I adjust so the back of the drives are 34.5? Or should they be closer or farther?

If it matters, these are Bravo IIIs.

Thanks
glboatdriver is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 06:06 PM
  #2  
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: burlington, iowa
Posts: 253
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

search for toe-in or toe-out. different for different hulls/drives. I measure front leading edge and compare center point of prop shafts to determine. what props are you running.
keith2500hd is offline  
Old 08-26-2013, 01:30 PM
  #3  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ocala, Fl
Posts: 3,066
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

If you ordered it 34.5" that is what you will get. Just install and go.
sprink58 is offline  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 PM
  #4  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Michigan and Elk Rapids
Posts: 404
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by keith2500hd View Post
search for toe-in or toe-out. different for different hulls/drives. I measure front leading edge and compare center point of prop shafts to determine. what props are you running.
Thanks. I have stock Merc 28P props. I figured that with the inch or two wiggle in my port-side drive that the measurement from right at the transom would be most accurate. I'll try finding specific toe-in/toe-out info for the 330..

Cheers.
glboatdriver is offline  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:52 PM
  #5  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Michigan and Elk Rapids
Posts: 404
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sprink58 View Post
If you ordered it 34.5" that is what you will get. Just install and go.
Now that'd make life easy. The Eddie Marine bar looked like it had adjustment at the ends. I'll check back with Eddie Marine for some advice. I need to call anyway to be sure they are back in stock and shipping.
glboatdriver is offline  
Old 08-26-2013, 06:11 PM
  #6  
Registered
 
blue thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,385
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Being a duo prop drive setup I would set it straight, no toe in or out. Toe in/out is to compensate for props spinning in or out.

Measure the distance at the front of the bullet. Measure the distance center to center on the prop shafts. Make those 2 numbers even.
blue thunder is offline  
Old 08-26-2013, 07:20 PM
  #7  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Michigan and Elk Rapids
Posts: 404
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by blue thunder View Post
Being a duo prop drive setup I would set it straight, no toe in or out. Toe in/out is to compensate for props spinning in or out.

Measure the distance at the front of the bullet. Measure the distance center to center on the prop shafts. Make those 2 numbers even.

Thanks! I was confused about the toe-in v toe-out thing but this makes sense. Being dual props, the drives need not be adjusted to counter the unequal torque.

Cheers!
glboatdriver is offline  
Old 08-26-2013, 08:12 PM
  #8  
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member
iTrader: (1)
 
US1 Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: L
Posts: 11,030
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

If you leave your inner tie bar on, make sure you always trim both drives the same amount, or at very least as near as same as your trim gauges read.
Never 1 up, 1 down. Or to avoid doing damage, just remove the inner bar. However that puts all the steering force on the SB steering components, providing both drives were tight to begin with.
__________________
Some people are like Slinkies - Not really good for anything, but they
bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 08-26-2013 at 08:14 PM.
US1 Fountain is offline  
Old 08-27-2013, 08:10 AM
  #9  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Michigan and Elk Rapids
Posts: 404
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain View Post
If you leave your inner tie bar on, make sure you always trim both drives the same amount, or at very least as near as same as your trim gauges read.
Never 1 up, 1 down. Or to avoid doing damage, just remove the inner bar. However that puts all the steering force on the SB steering components, providing both drives were tight to begin with.
Thanks. I plan to keep the inner Merc setup and pretty much use the "both" button for trimming and not the individual rocker switches.
glboatdriver is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser