Notices

Drive oil

Old 05-17-2014, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
I ran Mobil Delvac 75 80 last season in my XR's with fantastic results. -Tried all the wonder lubes mentioned. Very impressed with Delvac.
Be careful when switching to Mobil. On my 2.5/260 outie I thought I was doing it a favor bye running Mobil synthetic gear oil in it. Broke a prop shaft and when the drive was tore down to repair everthing was gelled up and looked terrible. I went back to using merc hi perf in it.

This also happened with my truck. When changing the front gear grease I ran short of dino (recomended) grease for the front end. I added mobile synthetic to the sqeeeze bottle with some of the dino oil and it also gelled.

Also whatever was used in for my drive oil was gelled in the bottom of the resivour at one time.

When switching from standard to synthetic I think it might be wise to run a test to see how they mix.

Am I the only one who has seen this?
Old 05-17-2014, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe smitty (articfriends) ran amsoil severe gear with Lucas oil additive with good results after chewing p multiple upper sets. He said he was going to give neo a go and see how that did. Anyone ever hear his results???
Old 05-17-2014, 03:07 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Borgie
Yes they (marine gear oils) differ from automotive grade in that they contain extra water emulsifiers to disperse the water so it does not mix with the gear oil if contaminated. Most will tolerate about 10% contamination with water for very short periods of time.
I'm pretty sure marine gear oils are designed to mix with the water. You don't want seperation.....just like with water in engine oil and like with water in your fuel. Seperation is worse.

I'd like some oil with my water vs just water.

BTW: I did not look this up so I may be wrong. I have drained a ton of things with water - and those things that have let the water seperated have had much more issues - rusting/piting / seizing / no run etc.

Let the oil experts speak...lol.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:42 PM
SB
Registered

What does Ego have to do with anything ? You must have inserted emotion into my post in which in reality there was no emotion.

Do people attack you a lot ?
Old 05-17-2014, 03:56 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by Borgie
You are running your mouth and insinuating I'm an oil expert. Nobody, especially you is "picking on me", you are just being a sarcastic jerk. Pretty simple.
No. Your wrong. You taking emotion out of reading something that the typer had no emotion.

I said it from what I think is happening from my experience and without looking up what the experts say.

You need to calm down and stop thinking people (me in this case) are picking on you.

Only one person in this forum would I talk that way to, for a reason, and he has been banned...for those reasons.

Chill dude.

Other things in life to worry and stress out about.

This is not one of those.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:01 PM
SB
Registered

I read back to see where you/I went wrong. I get it now. I quoted you.

My response was not towards you. I used your quote to show what I think.

The lol after the 'experts think' was not directed at you nor anyone else. It was a laugh at me because I could have been wrong with how I interpreted my experiences.

So...now I see what caused your reaction.

It was not towards you or anyone.

No emotion in it other than the giggle at myself.

Truce !
Old 05-17-2014, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran the neo oil from The Bravo Shop in my HTM with 1200 hp and a B-Max with great results
Old 05-18-2014, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 4,301 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Borgie play nice

This weekend I changed out the oil that Collabella put in there last year and it came out really watery , poured right out .

The oil that going back in (Mantek 80w-90) is thick and has a consistency of honey, it wants to stick to everything. It took 40 minutes to fill one drive with my Menards special set up. (thick) I like it. I believe Colabella fills em with Mercury oil .. it was green/blue in color

Old 09-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Update. Logged over 400 hard miles on the boat since I switched to the Mystik 85w140 lube. No more metal on the drain plugs. Also, I didnt lose any top speed. I like the tackiness of it. Also like the red color of it . Very happy with it for 65 bucks for a 5 gallon bucket at farm and fleet.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:53 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I posted before that Mystic oils were made by Citgo and I have had good luck with them as well for the past 2 years in boat apps that I have serviced. Also Merc premium blend gear oil is made by Citgo.

Mystic has very good 2 stroke oil for outboards and another one for PWC's. FWIW.

Last edited by BUP; 09-20-2014 at 12:00 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.