Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Extension boxes on a 29. Why or why not? >

Extension boxes on a 29. Why or why not?

Notices

Extension boxes on a 29. Why or why not?

Old 02-11-2015, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extension boxes on a 29. Why or why not?

I bought my 29 a few years ago and it is just another excuce to dabble in another area of performance and speed outside the bikes, dragsters and BIG 4x4s of my past endevours. I ask this question because I just don't know. (At least for now). But why do they install extension boxes to begin with? Is it to help the boat with Speed, Handling, or what? Would it be benificial to install extention boxes on a 29 with 454 EFIs ? Why? or Why not?

Also while researching this "idea" I have noticed Arneson has a bolt on surface drive to replace the Bravo. Any thoughts on going that route?

All comments, questions and suggestions welcome. Thanks ahead of time. Mark
Old 02-12-2015, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been talked about countless times but anyway the general idea is they allow you to raise you're drive and reduce drag because they push the drive farther back into deeper water as the water makes its way back upward after going past the transom at lower speeds. Higher speeds this angle is lesser reducing drag. Also can be used for more leverage to lift or lower the bow. With stock 454s I personally think it'd be a waste of time and money. As far as the arnesons they're awesome if you don't mind spending more than I'm guessing you have in the boat
Old 02-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try calling Arneson and/or Fountain to see if they have done a boat with one? I see a lot of Fountains with ext boxes but not a 29 so far. That 29 with twin BBC has to be really tail heavy and ext boxes will make it more so???
The Arneson looks cool as hell but at an advertised $24k/side for complete kit no cheap date. Do a search on here for X Power Drive as they make a bravo conversion as well but more like $35k/side.
(prices copied from other posts)
Curious as well.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was kinda thinking with only runnin 454s that ext. boxes may not be worth it. At least from what I do know. I was leaning towards the idea that with exts. it would make the boat seem longer without being longer. The added weight I had not concidered. So maybe I will have to look for a 38. Thanks again.