Bravo Gear pitting

Notices

Bravo Gear pitting

Old 10-23-2015, 07:16 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I also will need a contact phone # from Jaay Teee,

I will PM you soon after I get the report back or before. I do realize about not wanting to throw out a phone contact here.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:53 AM
BUP
Banned

Got the call back today form the gear people. JT gears your problem was the gear sets got very hot internally over a period of time. This alone weakened the structure. My thought as well but for one of your gears only as the surface felt different and had darken very dull finish of the gear itself. I did not even give them that gear to look at.

Anyways I would like to talk to you when we can free up sometime. They even said possible lack of lubrication. Also said the high heat weakened the Rockwell hardness of the gears and thats what caused your failure. They are still breaking down the gears to find out what the composition of the material is. Good stock or bad stock as well. It would be wise for me to send them new gears to look at what is currently being offered. More to report in a week or so. They are doing more studies. They also wondered about set up and clearances with your app ?

I also sat down face to face with a well known person who owns a racing oil formulation company. He is going to look at this as well but more so on the lubrication side of the coin. We actually talked about heat, oil foaming, clearances and cavitation along with gear oil viscosity. Believe it or not we even talked about a gear breakin oil. He said this is just as important like compared to engine side for breakin.

Last edited by BUP; 11-11-2015 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

I believe it, when i tested/experimented with lower gears i mistakenly did all my testing with royal purple gear oil, switching to amsoil severe gear w lucas immediately doubled my lower gear life fwiw, we can all agree its alot of different things BUT once the oil thins out and there is no lubrication boundary the teeth start pitting/galling imediately (w 1000 ft lbs of tq). So all the rxr ing of my drive and various treatments for my lower gears was sorta a waste of time since the royal purple would thin out and allow gears to contact. I was getting 10 to 15 hours from stock gears at 1000 hp/ft lbs of tq, cryo iso rem doubled that approximately, switching oils doubled it again BUT shortly after that i also thanks to mr gadgets got some fittings he had made that allowed me to add a oil circ pump, cooler and filter to my drive, i had a couple shafts shear off around that time too so i actually havent gotten a good idea of how much that helped yet. I finally broke the teeth off a set of xr uppers that have been in drive for 300 to 400 hrs a year ago, still need to dissassemble that lower and see how the gears are holding up, i think they have 80 plus hrs on them, Smitty
Old 11-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I believe it, when i tested/experimented with lower gears i mistakenly did all my testing with royal purple gear oil, switching to amsoil severe gear w lucas immediately doubled my lower gear life fwiw, we can all agree its alot of different things BUT once the oil thins out and there is no lubrication boundary the teeth start pitting/galling imediately (w 1000 ft lbs of tq). So all the rxr ing of my drive and various treatments for my lower gears was sorta a waste of time since the royal purple would thin out and allow gears to contact. I was getting 10 to 15 hours from stock gears at 1000 hp/ft lbs of tq, cryo iso rem doubled that approximately, switching oils doubled it again BUT shortly after that i also thanks to mr gadgets got some fittings he had made that allowed me to add a oil circ pump, cooler and filter to my drive, i had a couple shafts shear off around that time too so i actually havent gotten a good idea of how much that helped yet. I finally broke the teeth off a set of xr uppers that have been in drive for 300 to 400 hrs a year ago, still need to dissassemble that lower and see how the gears are holding up, i think they have 80 plus hrs on them, Smitty

Smitty what upper gear ratio do you run?
Old 11-11-2015, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Xr 16/19 that were cryoed iso remmed
Old 11-11-2015, 05:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Got the call back today form the gear people. JT gears your problem was the gear sets got very hot internally over a period of time. This alone weakened the structure. My thought as well but for one of your gears only as the surface felt different and had darken very dull finish of the gear itself. I did not even give them that gear to look at.

Anyways I would like to talk to you when we can free up sometime. They even said possible lack of lubrication. Also said the high heat weakened the Rockwell hardness of the gears and thats what caused your failure. They are still breaking down the gears to find out what the composition of the material is. Good stock or bad stock as well. It would be wise for me to send them new gears to look at what is currently being offered. More to report in a week or so. They are doing more studies. They also wondered about set up and clearances with your app ?

I also sat down face to face with a well known person who owns a racing oil formulation company. He is going to look at this as well but more so on the lubrication side of the coin. We actually talked about heat, oil foaming, clearances and cavitation along with gear oil viscosity. Believe it or not we even talked about a gear breakin oil. He said this is just as important like compared to engine side for breakin.
I'll pm you my #....you in box is full again

Last edited by JaayTeee; 11-11-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:04 PM
BUP
Banned

I hear you and that damn box. Anyways hit me here and put a title on your email so I know who it is from. Thanks

[email protected]
Old 11-12-2015, 05:28 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

So maybe an oil circulation system and cooler would solve the problem. Maybe a kit could be engineered to work with a bravo.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
So maybe an oil circulation system and cooler would solve the problem. Maybe a kit could be engineered to work with a bravo.
Already have them. Drew marine and others.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Dude this has been out for like...10 years....

http://drewmarine.com/products/coolswirl/coolswirl.html

Did you get to Boblo Island yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.