Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
anybody recognize this cobbled up drive tower in blown up bravo? >

anybody recognize this cobbled up drive tower in blown up bravo?

Notices

anybody recognize this cobbled up drive tower in blown up bravo?

Old 06-08-2016, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default anybody recognize this cobbled up drive tower in blown up bravo?

Working on a 2001 Bravo xr upper for a customer, completely disintegrated upper gears after being rebuilt supposedly only 4 hours of run time ago. Has a cheesy looking tower that looks like a poor copy of a max machine worx tower (definitely NOT their work). Top of outside race/tower is a good .160 LOWER in housing than a normal one which means lower gear's bearing was NOT completely on the race, only partially supported, floor of housing looks like someone took a air sander to it. The Max worx tower has much bigger flange in top and only one locating screw, not 4. Housing is total junk, wouldn't dream of re-assembling it, was just real curious if anyone has seen THIS tower in a drive yet. I'm thinking it was done in Michigan somewhere since the history of this boat is southern Michigan, Smitty
Attached Thumbnails anybody recognize this cobbled up drive tower in blown up bravo?-15339.jpg   anybody recognize this cobbled up drive tower in blown up bravo?-15341.jpg   anybody recognize this cobbled up drive tower in blown up bravo?-15342.jpg  

anybody recognize this cobbled up drive tower in blown up bravo?-15336.jpg  
Old 06-08-2016, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if it was rebuilt 4 hours ago, hasn't the customer already told you who did it?

Was it the well known drive shop in MI?
Old 06-08-2016, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
Well if it was rebuilt 4 hours ago, hasn't the customer already told you who did it?

Was it the well known drive shop in MI?
Customer just bought this boat, redid interior, windshield etc and broke this the first weekend he ran it, was told by previous owner the drive had been rebuilt with four hours of run time on it from CK Motorsports, seller could have been bull****ting my customer too. The lower hadnt been apart in years from what I could see, the upper looked "fresher" but totally cobbled, he says he talked to CK and was told because he has over 600 hp there is no warranty, I didnt get a clear answer IF they said they had actually rebuilt it recently. Who ever installed this tower needs to stay away from drives, I know that!! Aside from Max machine worx, mr gadgets and all american drive service I have never heard of any other shops installing towers.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not my tower!
Old 06-11-2016, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Not my tower!
Definitely not yours, you take PRIDE in what you do, whoever did this didn't care or even worse, lacked skill!!