Notices

Hello

Old 06-26-2016, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I'm not sold on drive showers either but most here are. It will take a significant power increase to pick up 5-10 mph. There is no cheap or easy alternative to your Bravo. I'm running 85 off-shore with a Bravo XR. Lots of air time. This drive is on it's 4th season. It's near the end of it's life ...
Old 06-26-2016, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 241 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
There are a whole lot of friendly and helpful people here but a statement like that won't get you any love. The "how much power can a Bravo drive take" question has been beaten to death and there is no definitive answer. Too many variables. Use the search function. I can't really offer help with your other questions but welcome to OSO and "boat people" are the best people!
Thanks for the welcome! I did search here(though my computer skills are limited) came up with newer bravo stuff, gear ratios and thousands of dollars rebuilds. Oil thread, dont drive it fast, mine blew up the first time out, mine has lasted 5 seasons etc. yep pretty beat lol. I just wanted to know the factory limitation- a definitive number i.e. 400hp,450hp,500hp. I would think that the weight of the boat and efficiency of the prop may be a multiplier. Opinions are valuable but if you are getting equal ones on both sides they kinda lead you right back to where you started. Sorry for my statement, but sometimes you got to rattle the cage to get some water in your cup lol. BTW I left all my friends behind in CO so I need to make some new ones.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Jerk.
Allot of people have a much stronger opinion about me, I can almost take this as a compliment lol
Old 06-26-2016, 02:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I'm not sold on drive showers either but most here are. It will take a significant power increase to pick up 5-10 mph. There is no cheap or easy alternative to your Bravo. I'm running 85 off-shore with a Bravo XR. Lots of air time. This drive is on it's 4th season. It's near the end of it's life ...
I am not in your guys league in the boat arena and mine will not go in the ocean(I would be terrified) nor do I think it will have much air time lol. Significant as in more than 30%? I am in this boat just right, I went way over budget on the tractor( got 5 acres now v. my 300sqft lawn back in denver) so I did not have a ton to throw at a boat. Some day I will have a sea worthy boat and conquer my fear of the ocean- baby steps.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Spend as little as you need to. Get it back to where it should be and save for a faster boat.

As a point, the drive is submerged at rest or idle. On plane it is not. Therefore many, myself included, have drive showers to cool the drive when on plane. They're inexpensive and if anything I like the bling.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
Spend as little as you need to. Get it back to where it should be and save for a faster boat.

As a point, the drive is submerged at rest or idle. On plane it is not. Therefore many, myself included, have drive showers to cool the drive when on plane. They're inexpensive and if anything I like the bling.
OK well that makes sense. I do have a few other expensive hobbys, I will have to re-prioritize now that I am catching this bug.The more I read on this forum, the more I want something cooler.