Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Help ! Powder Coating Transom Assy and Drives. Does it Last ? >

Help ! Powder Coating Transom Assy and Drives. Does it Last ?

Notices

Help ! Powder Coating Transom Assy and Drives. Does it Last ?

Old 02-20-2017, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

I had my extension box and all transom assembly parts powder coated before last season. My guy actually used a heavy duty powder coat. They use it a lot for atv, dirt bike and truck parts. He told me it could be sanded and buffed if I had too. The imco castings were very porse so he also used a powder coat filler. It worked pretty well but he also said it was a PAIN to work with. The stuff basically would dry up immediately upon contact with the metal, weird stuff.

So far all the parts still look great. I let one of the sharp corners of a steering ram bang against one of the steering arm and that did cause the powder coat to chip off. So that one will get redone. My boat does stay on the trailer and in water overnight maybe a couple times a season and there's no salt water near WI. Thus far I am happy with the powder coating.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The parts went to the powder coaters today , so well see how they last!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi there,
My extension box and drive are powder coated. Been that way for at least ten years. I trailer and run in fresh water. I leave the boat in for 3 days max. There is normal wear on the skeg from sand just like paint. I was told to use polyester based coating. I am pretty happy with it.
If one were to powdercoat or paint aluminum by the book, the bare metal will have an Alodine conversion coat first.

Happy boating,

Jeff

Last edited by hallj; 02-24-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here , where the u.v. factor is high , blues blacks and red powder coats dont fare to well with normal exposure to sun .have not heard if there are improved formulas out that are up to imron quality yet.
The nason line of urethane is the next best thing , esp in reds and blacks..
You could almost spray a dirty dog with that stuff , and it will stick.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

My drives are black Imron over 2-part epoxy primer over acid primer. 10 years still shiny, but a few bumps and bruises.

K-planers were powdercoated black at same time, still coated very well, but I do notice they are not as shiny (never were, but worse) almost a semi-gloss finish.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

put a good clear with UV absorber over the powdercoat. Nice shine and protects the pigments from UV light.