Notices

MDC Drive Sync

Old 06-22-2017, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up MDC Drive Sync

Here was the problem. I could never trim my drives for optimum performance. One drive was always too high or low. Because the indicators each have a cable running to them they would never be accurate due to cable stretch, mounting locations, and lengths. Spending a lot of time heads down trying to sync drive height and rpm is not a safe place to be while driving a boat.

Here is the solution. I talked to Mike at Marine Design Corporation and bought a MDC Drive Sync for my boat. This year has been great running with it. The drives sync up automatically to the same height every time. I am now spending time looking outside the boat driving while going faster then I have ever gone in the boat before because of the efficiency of the drive positions.

Installation and set-up were simple. This is a great product.

Thanks to Mike and the Team at MDC.

Next big project for my boat will be MDC Drive Guardians.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I purchased the Drive Sync for the same reason, to get the drives perfect and concentrate on what is ahead of me. Excellent product and install was very easy, the owner even called me to get feedback. Money well spent.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Guys - tell us about the install. Plug and play or something I'll need time for after season is over.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Install is easy and straight forward.

I mounted the box above the trim pump panel into the fiberglass. I used four screws to make sure it stays put, but you could use just two if so inclined.

Power and control wires connected to trim pumps. Wiring ran to back of motors to trim plugs and connected. Mercury harnesses labeled so they are easy to find.

Follow the instructions to set up and your done. System retains programming even if disconnected from power. It's that simple.

All wiring harnesses are included. MDC did a fantastic job on the harnesses and control box.

You will need screws and cable ties to secure the box and wiring harnesses.

It is a couple of hours to install and secure harnesses just because of having to go in and out of the engine compartment.

Now go out and run it using only the single trim switch on the throttle. It's like night and day running now.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

^ Exactly, 1 night after work and you got it installed. I did run into a suggestion for MDC to add 2-3 ft more of the harness going to the control unit. In my 38 Staggered by the time I went around the engine bay and mounted above my trim pumps the wire was stretched as far as it could go. Terry, I don't think the 42 engine compartment is much or any bigger than the 38. Just have them add to the wiring for some room to work with. Running at speed is great not worrying about tapping the drive switches. Combine the Drive Sync with dual throttle switches (1 for drives, 1 for tabs) and you never have to take your hand off the throttles. MDC also makes a Sync System for the tabs. I didn't need it for the tabs but nice if you are constantly adjusting them for whatever reason.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds good - thanks guys!

TM
Old 06-23-2017, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just purchased one also ,cant wait to install it!looks fairly simple.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:06 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Purchased one a while ago - had some issues getting it to work, Mike from MDC very responsive and got the issue resolved, works great!
Thanks Mike!
Old 07-28-2017, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

One of these MDC DriveSync systems is next on my 'must buy' list. Tired of indicator cables failing and trim pump speeds being uneven. Awesome solution!
Old 07-29-2017, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 696 Likes on 350 Posts

so you need the trim position sending unit on the drive?what are you guys w/ hp transom assemblies doing?I have no senders on my drives,,just cables.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.