Bravo to surface drives >

Bravo to surface drives

Notices

Bravo to surface drives

Old 11-10-2018, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance38
I converted my 1994 38 foot Cigarette Top Gun with ASD7M drives, which is over 13000lbs with gas. If your boat weighs as much as mine, don't waste your money on 4 blades. I have Hering 5 blade, 18 Diameter, 18 Rake, 28 Pitch Props.with twin 610hp supercharged engines. They work pretty good. I am under pitched a little bit. I would love to try some 6 blades, but there are none to be found. You will most likely have to do what I did, which is purchase props and hope you get it right.
Wasn’t your boat listed?
Old 11-12-2018, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll

Wasn’t your boat listed?
Yes. It is for sale and pop yachts is trying to sell it on many websites. We only used it once since Hurricane Harvey and it is running strong. We took a big financial hit from Harvey and my home is still not 100% complete. I don't really want to sell the boat and I may be taking if off the market.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Urban Disturbance and Green Lightening,
Any regrets converting to Arneson? Seems, from what Ive read, dialing in props is the biggest challenge, as there is no real efficient test program out there. Is the installation process a basic unbolt old transoms and bolt on Arnesons?
Old 11-14-2018, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Got Cigs
Any regrets converting to Arneson? Seems, from what Ive read, dialing in props is the biggest challenge, as there is no real efficient test program out there. Is the installation process a basic unbolt old transoms and bolt on Arnesons?
Got Cigs,

I have the Arneson ASD7M drives, and it was not a simple bolt on project. We had to pull and move the engines down and forward. which caused the Arneson bell housing to hit the stringers. So we had to do a little modifications to the stringers and engine mounts. Lucky for me, I did not have to replace my oil pans because I do not have huge ones. You have to cut larger holes in the transom so the transmission will fit and have access to the transmission fluid dip stick. 3 or 4 hydraulic hoses have to be ran to the helm because the steering control module is located behind the steering wheel. The entire steering hydraulic system has to be re-plumbed with hoses, fittings, cooler, reservoir and filter so if one engine dies, you can steer with one engine running. You need sea strainers, water pickups, water pressure pop up valves, ball valves, hoses and fittings for the cooling system. You will need a transmission cooler. I used one dual cooler for my transmission and steering for each engine. I do not have any regrets with the setup. If I was to purchase another boat and I had the option of Arneson vs. Bravo drives, I would pick the Arneson drives. They are bullet proof unless you hit something. Dialing in the props is a challenge.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Got Cigs
The only regret I have is not doing the conversion 4 bravo's earlier . The installation of the 7m kits for me was not super difficult , as long as you have good basic mechanical skills and access to some sort of a lift to be able to pull the motors and transmissions in and out , I had to do it several times to clearance the stringers . I was involved with the installation of several of the kits so I knew what to expect .If yon have a full hydraulic steering system all you have to change is the helm . Dialing in the props is just a cost and how much you want to spend to maximize your performance . Also if you don't have the ability to do the installation my friend has a shop in Syracuse and he gets like $5000 to do the installation .
The following users liked this post:
areyouliving (12-15-2023), Got Cigs (11-15-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 10:26 AM
Registered

With the jig set up you drill the transom for the studs on the extension boxes and cut out the center of the jig for the transmission .
Old 11-14-2018, 10:51 AM
Registered

Test fit the boxes and you are almost there
Old 11-15-2018, 07:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thank you both for the real world information. What kind of speed gains did you guys see with the swap?
Old 11-15-2018, 07:47 AM
Registered

I did gain over 10mph but to be honest , every time I went out and was testing I would break the gears in my bravo1's that got expensive so I stopped , did the conversion and never looked back.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wow! What kind of power do you have and is your boat a straight hull or stepped?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.