Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Merctrans II parts >

Merctrans II parts

Notices

Merctrans II parts

Old 02-07-2019, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I figured I'd let everyone know where I am at with this rebuild of the trans for other ppl searching for the info, and partly with me being bored at work... My original output shaft had a worn gear. I found a new one for $75 on ebay with help from picklenjim. I ordered new clutches from a ford FMX( Cruise-O-Matic) my clutches only measured out to .039" and they were worn quite a bit. The closest I could find was .061" from the fwd drum of the FMX here. The web site is Transpartsonline I could not post the link due to me not having 10 posts yet.
I ordered the clutch return spring and some other misc parts to see if they will work. I would like to make this as strong as possible as I am putting in a 454BBC with a 177 weiand not sure of actual power output yet, but I'll get there. Boat is a 1977 24" Panther made by Panther marine corp in Cali then later bought by the Infamous James Klem in the late 70s. I looked at some other posts about the merctans II ppl were saying the following..
"Additional notes I have for a stronger Merc trans:
1.Cryogenic treat the pump gerator.
2.Slightly clearance gerator keyway so that when the input shaft twists ever so slightly the gerator doesn't split.
3.Give the trans cooler exit its own dump (not thru exhaust)."
I could not find paper clutches the other stuff is things I will do.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:32 AM
Registered

I was also just told this by Mbam
"Sorry we really don't work on those any more. I can tell you that it is possible to get 1 extra clutch in there. Also the pilot bearing in the crank must be in good shape. The one other thing is you should have the mechanical shift as the electric shift is not reliable."

I'm ASS uming that I would need an extra steel too right? To install the possible extra clutch.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:00 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes you will need an additional steel.

You will need thin steels and possibly need to machine the front or rear pressure plate. Sorry it has been so long since we did one I really don't remember exactly. The center hub is really short so the clutch pack has to wind up in the right place so all the plates are engaged. Were you able to get the graphite clutches?

If you want call me today and we can talk about us building the drum for you.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:58 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

Marc good morning, being we are on the topic of merctrans would you know who does cryogenic treatment ? I have 4 new gerotors the I have that to have cryo treated, also would you know the measurements to take material off the two pressure plates to make the 6th fiber plate and fifth steel
Old 02-08-2019, 10:09 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by cig28
Marc good morning, being we are on the topic of merctrans would you know who does cryogenic treatment ? I have 4 new gerotors the I have that to have cryo treated, also would you know the measurements to take material off the two pressure plates to make the 6th fiber plate and fifth steel
I've never done the cryo. As far as the plates sorry I just don't remember. I would have to figure it out again as we build a drum. As pointed out the extra clearance in the gerotor is important.

If any one is interested in a bulk purchase I have at least a pallet load of Merctrans stuff. I just don't have the time to deal with it. I am sure there are enough parts to build a couple of units and have a lot left over. Send me an email and I will get some photos.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Registered

I have not received the clutches yet, I ordered them Friday. They were cheap everything I ordered came out to $56,
when I receive them I will let you know if they are the correct ones.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:39 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Here is what we have. There are 2 transmissions that look complete and were most likely rebuilt when I bought the stuff. There is also one unit we upgraded and rebuilt in house.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:02 AM
Registered

WOW. I will have to see how much shipping is. I would like to have a few spares and attempt to make some stronger versions with heat and cryo treating parts. Would you be interested in selling a few complete, an the one you built in house? Don't think I could afford the whole lot...
Old 02-12-2019, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There was a shop out west that was versed in MercTrans. Not sure if they're still around. Website doesn't seem to work anymore.

K C Marine

Bellingham WA 98225

(360) 739-3936
Old 02-12-2019, 08:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

I think Kirk closed up shop, great guy. It seemed like it happened fast I hope he's ok .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.