Notices

Skid pad for #6 lower unit

Old 06-10-2019, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Skid pad for #6 lower unit

We keep almost falling into the prop to get into the back of our boat

we stand on the pad of the #6

recently we were at performance marine and a cig had some kind of adhesive stuff pad

anyone know were to get this stuff
Old 06-11-2019, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I used something like this on my old boat as we boarded from the water using the drive as well. It called tread tape.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-4-in-x-15-ft-Safety-Walk-Step-and-Ladder-Tread-Tape-7636NA/100211722
Old 06-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Something I used to use on the jet ski's was "Hydro Turf" that might be what you're talking about or may work in its place.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:38 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

They sell "grip tape" at Lowes and Home Depot. They also have rubber traction pads at some of those stores as well as Harbor Freight.

Skid pad for #6 lower unit-z-piptqcpex_.jpg

However, there is no way in hell I would regularly use a VI drive near those associated props, to transverse the transom and get in the boat. You are begging for catastrophe. I've seen folks butterflied open from getting sliced on a surface drive prop, and hauled off to the ER. It isn't pretty.

Find another way in/out of the boat, even if it means having one of the hidden ladders built to extend out of the transom installed.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I've seen SeaDek used on top of the cavitation plate, I'm considering using this on my Skater if I can find a template.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

However, there is no way in hell I would regularly use a VI drive near those associated props, to transverse the transom and get in the boat. You are begging for catastrophe. I've seen folks butterflied open from getting sliced on a surface drive prop, and hauled off to the ER. It isn't pretty.

Find another way in/out of the boat, even if it means having one of the hidden ladders built to extend out of the transom installed.
^This. Gunwhale ladder is a much safer alternative. I dont want anybody near the props getting in or out of the boat......especially if they have had a few cocktails.

Although the gunwhales my not be a viable solution for your hull due to the windshield be wrapped all the way around.

Last edited by SS496; 06-17-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Gerald - I used some antiskid "tread tape" from Lowes. Aisle 13 at my store. :-)
Old 06-18-2019, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

On a V-Hull what would be wrong with utilizing the Trim Tab? I use both ways but I plan on putting Turf on one drive just in case.

I do agree though that a Drive Entry should probably be a last resort. I seen what falling off on a simple Mirage Prop will do to a calf, let alone a surface prop.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:23 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

I would get some of these as well https://bblades.com/shop/accessories...n-prop-covers/

and have some CAT or RAT tourniquets on board