Best Combo? X upper w/XR Lower?

Notices

Best Combo? X upper w/XR Lower?

Old 12-10-2019, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Best Combo? X upper w/XR Lower?

Blew a drive at the end of the season and am looking at my options. Will be moving up to 500 EFI's as well, from 502's - on a Formula 353 Fastech. Bo boxes, just basic bravo ones on the back w/Latham.

Currently have a Bravo with ZX gears and std lower.

With the xtra power being added, what is the best all-around option without going crazy on upgrades?

Was planning on an XZ/X Upper with either upgraded (to xr lower gear set) or new XR lowers (they seem to be the same cost).
Mechanics told me this was best, but in speaking to an OSO reseller - he said to stay with a stock lower to be the weak link and save the upper.

My drive blew when a anchor rope wrapped around it.

Last edited by snowrunner; 12-10-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

XZ drive is an x upper, with an Xr lower.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 353 Likes on 179 Posts

seems like something else may of been wrong, loosing a drive with a bit over 400 hp
Old 12-10-2019, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by snowrunner View Post
Blew a drive at the end of the season and am looking at my options. Will be moving up to 500 EFI's as well, from 502's - on a Formula 353 Fastech. Bo boxes, just basic bravo ones on the back w/Latham.

Currently have a Bravo with ZX gears and std lower.

With the xtra power being added, what is the best all-around option without going crazy on upgrades?

Was planning on an XZ/X Upper with either upgraded or new XR lowers (they seem to be the same cost).
Mechanics told me this was best, but in speaking to an OSO reseller - he said to stay with a stock lower to be the weak link and save the upper.

My drive blew when a anchor rope wrapped around it.

Yes - anchor line did it in
Old 12-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd View Post
XZ drive is an x upper, with an Xr lower.
got it, xz's are no longer available new - but is likely the best solution in my uneducated opinion
Old 12-11-2019, 01:20 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 245 Likes on 119 Posts

The upper is the weak link in a Bravo. I would just go with Bravo X drives which are an XZ upper with regular bravo lower.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:29 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

My '08 353 came with 525's and XR's with drive showers. I would think Formula installed the most robust Bravo set up they could. Why do something different?
Old 12-11-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 245 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexwarrior View Post
My '08 353 came with 525's and XR's with drive showers. I would think Formula installed the most robust Bravo set up they could. Why do something different?
Regular Bravo's and XZ's were used with 500EFI package. The XR's are marginally stronger than an XZ.
Reasons not to use XR's are lack of longevity for the upper gear sets and cost. An XR costs about 50% more.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:05 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info. I did not realize the cost differential. Also, how could they be stronger, but lack longevity as compared to the XZ's? Is the best combo then an XZ upper and an XR lower as indicated in an earlier post?
Old 12-12-2019, 05:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Apexwarrior View Post
Thanks for the info. I did not realize the cost differential. Also, how could they be stronger, but lack longevity as compared to the XZ's? Is the best combo then an XZ upper and an XR lower as indicated in an earlier post?
The XZ drive is made up of the X upper and XR lower.

i thought the XR upper had some other improvements over the X upper not related to the gears. Iíve spoken to at least 5 drive builders this week, only 1 indicated to goto XRís. 3 said to stick with Bravo lowers.

My Port drive is intact, Itís got the X gears, but the original bravo tower design. So may pull it and sell.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser