Best Combo? X upper w/XR Lower?

Notices

Best Combo? X upper w/XR Lower?

Old 12-12-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 224 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexwarrior View Post
Thanks for the info. I did not realize the cost differential. Also, how could they be stronger, but lack longevity as compared to the XZ's? Is the best combo then an XZ upper and an XR lower as indicated in an earlier post?
XR's gears have straight cut teeth that are thicker. The problem is the hardening on the gears wears faster and then when a tooth breaks it takes out the entire upper. XZ's gears don't seem to have the same issues.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff View Post
XR's gears have straight cut teeth that are thicker. The problem is the hardening on the gears wears faster and then when a tooth breaks it takes out the entire upper. XZ's gears don't seem to have the same issues.
what does the XR lower provide than, other than a stronger 1.25 prop shaft? Just better at retaining the prop in the event something is hit?

the upper shaft is already the 1.25 in all Xs? Anything different in the diesel X, other than a sticker (1.5 ratio)?
Old 12-12-2019, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 141 Likes on 75 Posts

Nothing in the drive is designed with taking a hit in mind. At 500+ hp you will start to twist the splines of a standard 1 propshaft. I think an Xz would be your best choice, stronger input retainer, steel tower, helical cut upper gears with the stronger propshaft in the lower.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thx to all for the great input! Youve confirmed what the majority of my drive rebuilders told me. Many said if an XR gear fails theyd rather not reuse the housings, much more damage than the helicals typically do.

Im going for the XZs.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 224 Likes on 117 Posts

Here's link with the specs on all Bravo type drives https://www.go-fast.com/mercruiser_b...terndrives.htm