1990 Bravo won’t go down

Notices

1990 Bravo won’t go down

Old 09-06-2020, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
That doesn't sound right but ok
The wire that energizes the relay should be white/green stripe, and when jumping from the red wire to the post on the right this would have caused a good spark

You need a volt meter not a test light
My mistake, you’re correct on the post labels. There was no spark at all when I bypassed from the power to the right post. It did spark when I accidentally hit the left post. I’ll search for the solenoid, it looks easy to replace.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:29 PM
Registered

That doesn't sound right but ok
The wire that energizes the relay should be white/green stripe, and when jumping from the red wire to the post on the right this would have caused a good spark

You need a volt meter not a test light
Well, good news is that the down solenoid had a short and when I replaced it, it worked. However..... now the up doesn’t work. I don’t see a short, I used a light meter for that. I tried bypassing the up solenoid and this one DID click. So the solenoid can’t be bad, right? And is the trailer up button on the same system as the up solenoid? That’s still just clicking.....

Last edited by Prestigeworldwideee; 09-13-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

And is the trailer up button on the same system as the up solenoid? That’s still just clicking.....
The trailer button bypasses the trim limit which is on the port side of the drive. In post 8 it is item "h"

With it clicking but not going up, then I would suspect the up relay is also the issue but could still be corrosion
Old 09-13-2020, 04:26 PM
Registered

The trailer button bypasses the trim limit which is on the port side of the drive. In post 8 it is item "h"

With it clicking but not going up, then I would suspect the up relay is also the issue but could still be corrosion
Yeah, I did get a click when I bypassed the switch with the power wire. So what should I try cleaning off? The ground post?
Old 09-13-2020, 05:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Prestigeworldwideee
Yeah, I did get a click when I bypassed the switch with the power wire. So what should I try cleaning off? The ground post?
The best test is a voltmeter. If you connect the meter probe to the relay and when its energized there should be no voltage drop. If there is a voltage drop then there is corrosion. If no drop then its the relay
Old 09-13-2020, 05:51 PM
Registered

The best test is a voltmeter. If you connect the meter probe to the relay and when its energized there should be no voltage drop. If there is a voltage drop then there is corrosion. If no drop then its the relay
I’m not sure how that was suppose to go but I had someone trim up while I checked the voltage (checked the up solenoid ground and power posts). It rose a little from 0 but not much. I’m really just starting to learn all about electrical issues so I’m not really that skilled at the moment.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:01 PM
Registered

If the positive meter probe is on any of the Red, Blue/White or Green/White wires and the negative probe is on the Black ground, there should be 12V on the wires when selected.

Selected meaning press up and Red and Blue/White wires should stay 12V

Pressing down, the Red and Green/White wires should stay 12V
Old 09-13-2020, 06:12 PM
Registered

If the positive meter probe is on any of the Red, Blue/White or Green/White wires and the negative probe is on the Black ground, there should be 12V on the wires when selected.

Selected meaning press up and Red and Blue/White wires should stay 12V

Pressing down, the Red and Green/White wires should stay 12V
Yeah, the voltage didn’t stay constant when trimmed up. Should I just replace the solenoid? It’s cheap and if I pull off the old one to clean it and it works, it’s still a 30 year old solenoid when I put it back in...
Old 09-13-2020, 06:53 PM
Registered

I'm not there, only testing can say if it needs replacing, but as you say its cheap, so maybe just replace
Old 09-13-2020, 07:15 PM
Registered

I'm not there, only testing can say if it needs replacing, but as you say its cheap, so maybe just replace
Well unlike the other solenoid, there’s no shorts in this one. I think it’s just a bad connection/corrosion. What else should I test? The strongest reaction I got was bypassing the switch, it makes me feel like there’s an issue with the switch going up.... however when I bypassed the switch, it still didn’t go up, only clicked. I can pickup a solenoid for like $13. I just find it odd that I ended up having trouble with going both down and up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.