Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
What normally aspirated engine has highest power? >

What normally aspirated engine has highest power?

Notices

What normally aspirated engine has highest power?

Old 04-06-2021, 01:42 PM
  #11  
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 487
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by carnutsx2 View Post
540 cubic inch motor . 502 block with a 4.25" stroke with a 4.466" bore
The math on that works out to a 532", 532.6" actually.
4.5" bore x 4.25" stroke = 540.7", otherwise a 540.
cheech is offline  
Old 04-07-2021, 06:06 PM
  #12  
VIP Member
VIP Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 158
Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
I think you need to be a bit more specific. If I remember, you have a 454 MAG EFI, correct? And you're looking to keep it fuel injected, re-use as many of your stock parts as possible on a higher HP engine while still keeping the Bravo 1 outdrive. Am I correct?
Thanks, though it's just a 7.4 MPI, not a Mag engine.

Thanks for all the other replies, too...great information and answers my question.

I've got a couple of people interested in my 208 Islander, the thought is to use those funds for the re-power project. It's not something I HAVE to do, more of a want... and there is certainly the argument to just let it be and enjoy.
Is it me or are used engines just nearly impossible to find now? Seems like they were littering the place a couple of years ago.
bajaman is offline  
Old 04-07-2021, 08:15 PM
  #13  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 168
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Carnut pretty much said what I was going to. However, I thought you had the 454 MAG?

Your 7.4L I think is 330 HP., So a 502 MAG is a nice upgrade (415 HP) but prob not worth the hassle of exchanging everything for a mild boost in performance.

You really need to look for a HP 500 in my opinion to make it worth your while. It would be the upper limit of the bravo 1 out drive capabilities and give you a fair amount of performance.

Yes, engines are much harder to come by lately.
xlint89 is offline  
Old 04-07-2021, 09:25 PM
  #14  
Registered
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toledo Oh
Posts: 9,809
Received 189 Likes on 82 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
Carnut pretty much said what I was going to. However, I thought you had the 454 MAG?

Your 7.4L I think is 330 HP., So a 502 MAG is a nice upgrade (415 HP) but prob not worth the hassle of exchanging everything for a mild boost in performance.

You really need to look for a HP 500 in my opinion to make it worth your while. It would be the upper limit of the bravo 1 out drive capabilities and give you a fair amount of performance.

Yes, engines are much harder to come by lately.
A 502 mag has lots of options for future improvement..the 7.4...not so much....
phragle is offline  
Old 04-08-2021, 06:31 PM
  #15  
VIP Member
VIP Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 158
Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Yeah...a 500EFI is my dream engine for this boat. Was actually a factory option.
I'm keeping my eyes open. Like I said before, it's a want, not a need so I can be patient...

(This is what I tell myself whenever I get frustrated!)
bajaman is offline  
Old 04-08-2021, 09:37 PM
  #16  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 75
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Why limit yourself to such low horsepower?
carnutsx2 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
thirdchildhood (04-11-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 10:27 PM
  #17  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 168
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by carnutsx2 View Post
Why limit yourself to such low horsepower?
Not wanting to replace out drives too.. (at least that was my reason. I cannot speak for Baja)
xlint89 is offline  
Old 04-08-2021, 10:30 PM
  #18  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 168
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by phragle View Post
A 502 mag has lots of options for future improvement..the 7.4...not so much....
This is true if you're looking to upgrade in stages.
xlint89 is offline  
Old 04-08-2021, 10:35 PM
  #19  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 168
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bajaman View Post
Yeah...a 500EFI is my dream engine for this boat. Was actually a factory option.
I'm keeping my eyes open. Like I said before, it's a want, not a need so I can be patient...

(This is what I tell myself whenever I get frustrated!)
2 just sold in the swap shop for $25k for the pair. I was watching 1 on Ebay earlier on this winter. Guy was asking around $11k.for 1 with a little over 400 hrs on it. I opted to pass because they recommend rebuild at 500 hrs.

Plus I would had to replace the computer along with the engine. (Mine has MEFI 1 and believe the 500 EFI is MEFI 3? so more cost plus changing wiring harness).
xlint89 is offline  
Old 04-09-2021, 12:58 PM
  #20  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,958
Received 240 Likes on 107 Posts
Default

How fast do you want to go in a Baja? No offense...anything above 80-85 would scare me.
1MOSES1 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.