Another Bravo 3 shift issue

Notices

Another Bravo 3 shift issue

Old 09-21-2021, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Another Bravo 3 shift issue

95 Fountain, 502's with Bravo three's.
Starboard drive will only shift into reverse if shifted to forward first & then to reverse. If Drive is in neutral & shifted directly to reverse, it will not spin the prop. If I gently touch the prop with a piece of wood, it will bang like being shifted into gear & start spinning in reverse. New fluid, new shift linkage in outdrive, cable is an oem part. It worked fine a couple of weeks ago.
Ideas, suggestions or Input? Thank you.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Most likely the cone clutch and shaft is worn out, items 22 and 24
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/.../30968/5398/90
Old 09-21-2021, 09:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Most likely the cone clutch and shaft is worn out, items 22 and 24
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/.../30968/5398/90
Thank you for the reply. I pulled the rear stainless cap(Latham steering part) & found some metal shavings laying on the flat area. Drained the drive & ran all drive oil through a fine paint strainer, no other metal found & none on the magnet either.
Pulling the drive off in the morning, going to disassemble & put in a parts order. Thank you again for your input & help, it is very appreciated. I'll update to let you know what I find & I'm sure I'll have more questions. 😊
Old 10-01-2021, 11:14 PM
Registered

Pulled the drive last Friday, disassembled the top gears & clutch. Found the shift fork was very worn & grooved. Disassembled the gears & clutch to inspect, everything else was in beautiful condition. Ran to Offshore Performance & picked up a fork, reassembled everything & put the drive back on. Ran it on the hose, shifted perfectly. Finally got it back in the water yesterday, ran about 100 miles all day with no problems. Thank you AGAIN for the help, it is very much appreciated. It'll be back in the water for a cpl days for the races next weekend.
The following 4 users liked this post by smashm:
AllDodge (10-02-2021), drumerjb (10-13-2021), Griff (10-02-2021), speicher lane (10-02-2021)