All American drive service >

All American drive service

Notices

All American drive service

Old 06-29-2022, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default All American drive service

Has anyone received a drive from George I’m the past 6-8 months? How long did it take from start to finish?

long story somewhat short: last late July I had a failure in my xr. Looked at all my options and decided to give aads a shot as he offered a warranty and a quick turn around. Thinking I was going yo save the rest of boating season I opted to go with the ultra 2 package from aads. Sent my xr to George the beginning of august and had my imco lower rerouted to him instead of imco. Paid him for most of the drive, 8k upfront and the rest when the drive was completed was the agreement. George assured me 2-3 weeks once he had everything. Apparently he was including the parts to build the drive into that “everything.”

here we are almost a year into him having my drive and I get the same answer every time I actually get ahold of him. “Still just waiting on a few small parts to finish it up.” Turns out that one of those parts is a gear set.

i understand parts shortages and supply issues, but I’m starting to think I was lied to last year. Why quote 2-3 weeks when you don’t even have all the parts?

Now I thought there was a light at the end of the tunnel and boating in sight when George called me at the end of may stating that he “should” have gears on the way and I should have my drive soon. Asked if that was 2-3 weeks or a month. His response “ I hope we aren’t talking in a month.” Well I guess that means he just won’t answer or return calls. Still no drive, been trying to get ahold of him for the past two and a half weeks. No return calls. Left messages each time his voice mail would allow.
Just a heads up for those looking at aads. Sure if the drive holds up when I get it back I will absolutely report back on that, but it feels like that probably won’t be this year.

Hindsight I guess I show have written off last season when the failure happened and had imco repair my lower and match it to an scx upper over the winter.
The following 2 users liked this post by spending money:
Port 25 (07-28-2022), River Rat 164 (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by spending money
Has anyone received a drive from George I’m the past 6-8 months? How long did it take from start to finish?

long story somewhat short: last late July I had a failure in my xr. Looked at all my options and decided to give aads a shot as he offered a warranty and a quick turn around. Thinking I was going yo save the rest of boating season I opted to go with the ultra 2 package from aads. Sent my xr to George the beginning of august and had my imco lower rerouted to him instead of imco. Paid him for most of the drive, 8k upfront and the rest when the drive was completed was the agreement. George assured me 2-3 weeks once he had everything. Apparently he was including the parts to build the drive into that “everything.”

here we are almost a year into him having my drive and I get the same answer every time I actually get ahold of him. “Still just waiting on a few small parts to finish it up.” Turns out that one of those parts is a gear set.

i understand parts shortages and supply issues, but I’m starting to think I was lied to last year. Why quote 2-3 weeks when you don’t even have all the parts?

Now I thought there was a light at the end of the tunnel and boating in sight when George called me at the end of may stating that he “should” have gears on the way and I should have my drive soon. Asked if that was 2-3 weeks or a month. His response “ I hope we aren’t talking in a month.” Well I guess that means he just won’t answer or return calls. Still no drive, been trying to get ahold of him for the past two and a half weeks. No return calls. Left messages each time his voice mail would allow.
Just a heads up for those looking at aads. Sure if the drive holds up when I get it back I will absolutely report back on that, but it feels like that probably won’t be this year.

Hindsight I guess I show have written off last season when the failure happened and had imco repair my lower and match it to an scx upper over the winter.
George rebuilt a drive for me back in 2017 I believe and he was a flake then and even more so these days. A buddy dropped his drive off there last October and had to bug the living crap out of him this spring to get any update and finally threatened to just pick the drive up not done before they finally got it to him a couple weeks ago. Fortunately his drive didn't need the straight cut XR gears which I've heard are extremely hard to come by. When he was doing my drive I quickly figured out he doesn't stock any parts and orders what he needs when he needs it from Mother Merc and Merc only. When he was dragging his feet on my drive and blaming the gear sets I found them in 5 minutes at BAM and told him I'd have them overnighted to him. He about lost his mind! Would not let me do that. His son is way better to deal with but bottom line, they way over promise and way under deliver on timelines. I think they are afraid to lose business if they are upfront on how long things will really take.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (07-02-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
George rebuilt a drive for me back in 2017 I believe and he was a flake then and even more so these days. A buddy dropped his drive off there last October and had to bug the living crap out of him this spring to get any update and finally threatened to just pick the drive up not done before they finally got it to him a couple weeks ago. Fortunately his drive didn't need the straight cut XR gears which I've heard are extremely hard to come by. When he was doing my drive I quickly figured out he doesn't stock any parts and orders what he needs when he needs it from Mother Merc and Merc only. When he was dragging his feet on my drive and blaming the gear sets I found them in 5 minutes at BAM and told him I'd have them overnighted to him. He about lost his mind! Would not let me do that. His son is way better to deal with but bottom line, they way over promise and way under deliver on timelines. I think they are afraid to lose business if they are upfront on how long things will really take.
man that’s disappointing… from what I gather I do not need the straight but xr gears either. He told me that they are helical, but I can not get any other information from him.

i don’t know what else to do? I’m out 8k so far to him. Only received the drive guardian so I could get it installed so it’s a bolt on and go situation. When I get a drive. He also has my imco lower and a few other steering mount parts. I really should have just gone with the scx over the winter and been done. I have a feeling that if I ever have to use the warranty than I’ll likely be done for another year.

I think I’ve been pretty patient and understanding when 2-3 weeks is almost at a year later. I’ve never been nasty to George, just want some honest answers. Asked for the information on what parts are left to see if I could source them and got nothing other than an empty promise of one more month.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

We used AADS a couple years ago. Our experience was mainly positive. Sent drives to him over the winter. Had them back the next spring. We did run into an issue with one drive overheating and turning oil black. We sent the drive back to him twice. He remedied the situation by switching out the gear sets. all good. Knock on wood.

Ive never had trouble getting ahold of him. If he didn’t pick-up he would always call back. Seemed like a straight shooter. I’m sure he is under a lot of pressure these days with part shortages.

hopefully everything works outs. Good luck!!

Old 06-29-2022, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

My experience is a couple of years ago but very positive. Never got ahold of him immediately but always called me back the same or next day.

I feel your pain of losing boating time.

Padraig
Old 06-29-2022, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 507 Likes on 202 Posts

I have never gone to a repair shop and paid money up front. Never! If a shop wanted money. I might, MIGHT, give them money for the cost of farmed out machine work. 8K is absurd. You got screwed. If the clown is not answering your phone calls then drive over and pick the drives up. Send them to IMCO. You lost two summers and a bunch of money.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

The timelines he promised are inline with Mercury’s ship dates for gear sets that they keep missing and pushing back.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unlimited jd:
abones (06-30-2022), SB (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 02:06 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Merc XR gear sets were back ordered nationwide by nearly everyone. They started sending some out the last couple months
Old 06-30-2022, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had two drives done by AADS. 1st one was a drop off core, pick up replacement type deal, in and out in 1 hour. That was 2016 or 17. 2nd drive was dropped off February 2020, got it back August 2020. Paid up front for the work as well. I was quoted about a one month turn around - we know what happened in March/April.

Both drives working well as of last weekend.

I've heard similar stories as the OP more recently. I don't know what's going on in Branson, but it doesn't seem good.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

From my old dock here in the armpit of America, between 4 of us we've had George do 6 drives. 2 were standard Bravo rebuilds and 4 were various Stage buildups. No complaints on the workmanship once the drives were returned. I sold my boat to a coworker in 2019 (confirmed rebuild done in 2017) and 5 years on the drive is still going strong. Similar results from the Stage buildups which have a couple seasons on them now. George just needs to do a better job with realistic timelines, more timely updates, and better overall communication. I wasn't able to make the trip this spring to pick up my buddy's drive but the guys that went said they have drives stacked up like cordwood at the shop awaiting rebuilds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.