SMARTCRAFT fuel calibration

Notices

SMARTCRAFT fuel calibration

Old 05-31-2017, 06:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default SMARTCRAFT fuel calibration

I have twin 2016 Verado 300's, SMARTCRAFT gauges, and one 150 G gas tank.

Do I need to go through the tank and fuel used calibration on both tachs and the speedo? Or, do they all share the data? I reset the fuel used on both tachs and now only one is going up. The speedo is showing 0 fuel used? The GPH and fuel economy is working.

Also, I have the NMEA 2K gateway going to my Garmin 741xs, that is showing 0 fuel used too. I guess because Smartcraft is not configured correctly?
Old 06-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure that the tachs are configured properly. Both are probably delivered configured for "Starboard", which is the default configuration for single engine use. I am not too familiar with the Smartcraft speedo, but if it does not have a selector switch for tanks (or engines) it will probably only show one engine's use. Perhaps there is a totalizer on it?

What are you using to convert Smartcraft data to NMEA 2000 for the Garmin 741? Again, the Garmin will have to be configured to display data for whichever engine you want. Look under NMEA 2000 configuration on the settings tab in the Garmin. Most of my experience is single engine so again, I am not sure how multiple engines are configured or handled here.

Also for what it is worth, on our 496 we find the fuel used display to be about 5% optimistic. In other words the engine has actually used 5% more fuel than is displayed. I generally just figure 10% for easy math and to make sure I don't run out. Fill your tank, run the boat, look at the amount used and refill at the same pump. If on the water, make sure you refill at the same boat configuration (number of people, loaded bow or stern etc.). Compare the results to "calibrate" your actual usage.

Dan
Old 06-05-2017, 06:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaDan
Make sure that the tachs are configured properly. Both are probably delivered configured for "Starboard", which is the default configuration for single engine use. I am not too familiar with the Smartcraft speedo, but if it does not have a selector switch for tanks (or engines) it will probably only show one engine's use. Perhaps there is a totalizer on it?

What are you using to convert Smartcraft data to NMEA 2000 for the Garmin 741? Again, the Garmin will have to be configured to display data for whichever engine you want. Look under NMEA 2000 configuration on the settings tab in the Garmin. Most of my experience is single engine so again, I am not sure how multiple engines are configured or handled here.

Also for what it is worth, on our 496 we find the fuel used display to be about 5% optimistic. In other words the engine has actually used 5% more fuel than is displayed. I generally just figure 10% for easy math and to make sure I don't run out. Fill your tank, run the boat, look at the amount used and refill at the same pump. If on the water, make sure you refill at the same boat configuration (number of people, loaded bow or stern etc.). Compare the results to "calibrate" your actual usage.

Dan
Thanks! I played around in the smartcraft menus and finally got it to work. Each tach is showing the fuel usage for that motor, and the speedo is showing combined usage. I'll see how accurate it is the next time I fill up. My previous boat with a 525efi and SC100 gauge, the fuel used was right on, within a gallon or so. The mercury gateway is part #84-8M0105243. I found that the garmin has a sub menu that I had to configure also.