North Star 951x options and replacement >

North Star 951x options and replacement

Notices

North Star 951x options and replacement

Old 08-19-2018, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North Star 951x options and replacement

Soooo I bought a boat that has a North Star 951x but it won’t power up I checked the power cable and it has power to it ..... I know the unit is discontinued so either help gettting it to power up or my (cheaper) options to replace it that will fill the hole in my dash ........
thank u
Old 08-21-2018, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Northstar-9...-/192626644669

I know this is a 952X but does it look like the same footprint?
Or put one of these in and be done with it.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/simra...06?recordNum=3

Chris
Old 08-21-2018, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 952x is the same mounting and wireing as far as I know so that’s not a bad idea to try and upgrade I would just hate to spend 2-3-400 on another unit that when it stips Working there is no repair for it
Old 08-22-2018, 09:06 AM
Registered

If it were me I would get the Simrad. I too had an old northstar I had to replace and I went with a Simrad. I got a NSS Evo3. They are more money but do have more features. Depends on your Needs

Chris
Old 11-20-2018, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if the simrad evo3 will plug straight up with the sounder, radar , gps attenna + the smartcrarft currently going to a northstar 6100, or will i need a new one of each? I dont mind buying the unit, but if its everything i am going to find it harder to justify when it works.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:28 PM
Registered

You need to call Simrad and ask them. Have your model Numbers when you call. Depends on the radar but probably not. GPS maybe but the evo has a buit in antenna . The smart craft is the big one. If it is the Mercury smartcraft then I would say no. If you are just calling it smartcraft but it is volvo then yes. . What year is the boat and equipment. NMEA 2000 protocol was phased in around 2005 to 2007. Before that it was 0813 or something like that. Many volvos use 0813 and the evo3 can read that for engine data. Merc will not work on that protocol. If it is all working I would Leave it alone especially if it is a merc application. If Volvo its easier to convert but I would not try to piece this together. If Volvo all you really all you need is an Airmar Transducer/sounder for simrad and the evo3. Simrad has big rebates through December. You get 200 to 500 back depending on unit and a Free Maps Card worth 200-300.

Chris
Old 11-20-2018, 10:30 PM
Registered

Thanks Chris,

I have a 2008 fountain 38ec with 2x 496HO's. It does have the mercruiser smartcraft which might limit me a bit with the simrad by the sounds of it. It all works, its just looking a bit dated which i why i thought a quick upgrade on the mfd would be a nice quick win. I have a the mobile vessel view on my phone, which is useful, and looks better then the smartcraft on the northstar but its a pain looking at it on the phone. I think the most frustrating thing with northstar other then the 3 mins to fire up, is the autorouting isnt there. i need to put in all the waypoints manually. Plus dimming is a pain. Thanks for the advice, i may just leave it for a bit longer, I am kind of hoping a DYI ipad solution comes together soon.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:26 AM
Registered

With yours being a 2008 the Smartcraft and the simrad will probably be able to sink with the together . I think you have to but a gateway or converter box. Do you have a NMEA 2000 Network already. I would call Simrad because at this point you may only need that gateway. Northstar had 2 vendors for radar control boxes in that era. 1 can be made to work and 1 can not. I am somewhat versed on this as I have a 50 Ft Cruisers brand express cruiser. Tts a 2005. Someone before me put in a nema 2000 network and replaced all the gauges with 2 76xx garmins . It could read the engine data that was being put out in 0813. The boat had a northstar 952x or something like that on it for Radar , autopilot, and Charts. It was ruined by water intrusion year before last in the hurricane. Only Damage I had .So I thought I would just upgrade the northstar plotter to simrad evo3.. NOPE.. A call to Simrad with some model numbers and the guy told me about the 2 different radar control boxes and once I identified my box, it was apparent it was a no go. So I had to buy Radar, GPS antena/ position sensor, for autopilot, and autopilot computer. You wont need the position sensor/gps antena. Installed all myself.. So after $7000.00 everything is state of the art...lol... Simrad has an app that you can control the the evo 3 and all its featuers with. You can even steer the boat with a tablet or phone. As for the sounder the person before me installed one with the garmins. If I want to see bottom structure I have to see it on the garmins as that sounder is not compatible with the simrad. I do get depth on the simrad from the garmins. Here is a vid of the setup. I had the everything too bright lol.. The Wheel is also new..
https://mightytext.net/zVrZEs

Last edited by Blueabyss; 11-21-2018 at 08:35 AM. Reason: ***
Old 11-21-2018, 01:35 PM
Registered

Really nice set up Chris.

I will dig up the serial numbers and then see if it will click together, i am really not keen to spend 7k, I dont have an autopilot, so that makes things a bit simpler i guess. Plan to do it my self if i make the call.

Did you add your trim settings onto the simrad? I have the manual fountain ones at the moment, they seem to work, but just curious if it makes sense updating that as well.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:31 PM
Registered

No trim settings needed. It would not cost you as much since you are not messing with auto pilot and radar may sync up

Chris