Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
good depth finder >

good depth finder

Notices

good depth finder

Old 06-03-2019, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

+1 on the airmar glue down with glycol reservoir . Have mine hooked to a garmin downscan sonar. Reeds at speed to 600 ft and 900-1000 at idle.\
Chris
Old 06-03-2019, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Glad to hear they work good at speed. That was our biggest factor for going that route.
This one is going on a Raymarine MFD. And while the Aimar might not provide all the detail of Realvison or 3D scan units, the techs all said if installed correctly they will read above 70mph, depending on depth, until you outrun the echo..
Old 06-04-2019, 04:54 PM
Registered

ugghh. The speed I was talking about is 30 knots. 53 Ft Express Cruiser. Twin Volvo D12 675's. I have never looked at the sonar scan at that speed just know I still get depth at that speed till 600ft. So I would think 70 at 100ft would be no problem.

Chris
Old 10-02-2019, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

running a airmar p79S (oem install) and it works for crap, its running into the 525efi harness and running up to the mercury vessel race race view, it is intermittent at best, not moving,idle, from 20-80 no rhyme or reason maybe works maybe doesn't. have plans to upgrade to a simrad plotter in the near future and really hoping that it will work better, if not ill maybe buy the same sending unit that plug directly into the simrad and not go through the smartcraft... also though about a through hull, but man drilling holes into the bottom of a boat
Old 10-25-2019, 06:24 PM
Registered

My Airmar is bullet proof running to a my Dual Garmins. The Garmins are also hooked to a NMEA 2000 network as are my Simrads. The Simrads read the depth off the network. So Im guessing its either your Smartcraft or very possibly your Airmar Cup is dry. Turn it a 1/4 turn , pull it off and have a look.

Chris
Old 10-25-2019, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
My Airmar is bullet proof running to a my Dual Garmins. The Garmins are also hooked to a NMEA 2000 network as are my Simrads. The Simrads read the depth off the network. So Im guessing its either your Smartcraft or very possibly your Airmar Cup is dry. Turn it a 1/4 turn , pull it off and have a look.

Chris
unfortunately with the install i have to pull a motor to get to the transducer.... It is full however, i did pull both motors in my garage this past winter and did a complete new install with a new transducer and mounting base lesk tested it for several days before i did the final assembly... same problem as the original install.for it to plug into my engine harness and run forward it is a mercury part built by airmar to mercury protocol/specs... very disapointing and fustrating. is your transducer nmea 2k version? or does it run right into the garmin displays?
Old 10-25-2019, 09:36 PM
Registered

It runs into the Garmin.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:42 PM
Registered

If you pause the vid you will see the depth being picked up on the Port garmin and the simrad. This is on a Cruisers 500 express. 35000 lbs thick hull.

https://mightytext.net/zVrZEs

Chris
Old 03-04-2020, 12:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents, switched to Humminbird recently and wanted to know - is the extended warranty worth the money? What do you think?