28 TD speeds with 454 mags?

Notices

28 TD speeds with 454 mags?

Old 09-18-2006, 07:48 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: 28 TD speeds with 454 mags?

Shoot a PM to rbtnt. He has bigger power now, but he originally ordered his 28 with 454s.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Daytona 28 TD speeds with 454 mags?

Originally Posted by noboat
That may be but most of the 25s out there are way overpriced. I know you have yours for sale with a ton of extras but a lot of them don't. A 1999-2000 25 isn't worth $50k+.
I guess I'd think one very well could be, depends on condtion, hours, and equipment.

Honestly, you might be happier with a worthy deep v.

Here's where I'm coming from- I ran my 25 Daytona on inland lakes and loto once for 3 yrs. Loto was doable, but not exactly in its element.

I the bought a 28 Pantera which is known for being a wave crusher for given size etc- I ran it for the last 3 yrs. On smoother lakes- I really missed the Daytona. Went to Destin this yr and in the larger bay, going thru the pass and in the ocean, the Pantera was a blast to drive and was way better than my 25 Daytona ever could have been. Pantera was also better on Grand lake when it got snotty- more fun to launch too.

so now I have a new to me 30' Daytona, and while I like it, the first realization/reminder is that I need to be doing 50+ for the tunnel to start working. On the inland lakes, where I spend most of my time, it will be great, and I'm even confident it will do great at Grand lake where it gets rougher and more cruiser wakes. Saturday we had a steady 12-15 which is rare here and the lake got stirred up pretty good. When we rafted with friends all the deep V guys (even a 42 tiger) were commenting on how rough it was- I had not even noticed, cause it was washing machine slop abnd the cat was happy at 60.

BUT- if the conditions/traffic dictate you will be between 25-50 mph in rough water, there is no question my Pantera would be the preferable ride, by a long shot. Cats are just plain out of their zone at this speed and behave like a sluggish flatbottom (sluggish can be overcome somewhat with bigger power)

For the once a yr I go to Destin I'll live with the cat, but if I was in bigger rollers/running less than 50 more often it would be the Pantera all the way. Some have open waters and they can run their cats harder/faster- some never see the waters you'll see on the great lakes.

Good luck!
Old 09-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Daytona 28 TD speeds with 454 mags?

Originally Posted by Cattitude
I guess I'd think one very well could be, depends on condtion, hours, and equipment.

Honestly, you might be happier with a worthy deep v.

Here's where I'm coming from- I ran my 25 Daytona on inland lakes and loto once for 3 yrs. Loto was doable, but not exactly in its element.

I the bought a 28 Pantera which is known for being a wave crusher for given size etc- I ran it for the last 3 yrs. On smoother lakes- I really missed the Daytona. Went to Destin this yr and in the larger bay, going thru the pass and in the ocean, the Pantera was a blast to drive and was way better than my 25 Daytona ever could have been. Pantera was also better on Grand lake when it got snotty- more fun to launch too.

so now I have a new to me 30' Daytona, and while I like it, the first realization/reminder is that I need to be doing 50+ for the tunnel to start working. On the inland lakes, where I spend most of my time, it will be great, and I'm even confident it will do great at Grand lake where it gets rougher and more cruiser wakes. Saturday we had a steady 12-15 which is rare here and the lake got stirred up pretty good. When we rafted with friends all the deep V guys (even a 42 tiger) were commenting on how rough it was- I had not even noticed, cause it was washing machine slop abnd the cat was happy at 60.

BUT- if the conditions/traffic dictate you will be between 25-50 mph in rough water, there is no question my Pantera would be the preferable ride, by a long shot. Cats are just plain out of their zone at this speed and behave like a sluggish flatbottom (sluggish can be overcome somewhat with bigger power)

For the once a yr I go to Destin I'll live with the cat, but if I was in bigger rollers/running less than 50 more often it would be the Pantera all the way. Some have open waters and they can run their cats harder/faster- some never see the waters you'll see on the great lakes.

Good luck!
Well I have a pretty worthy deep V now. I want to move up in size soon and I need to figure out if I want to stay with a V or go to a cat. I have wanted a cat for a few years because most of my boating is done in the washing machine slop. However, I would like to get out into Lake Michigan more and I know a 28 Pantera, Active Thunder, etc can handle the 4-6 footers. The Eliminator 28 TD caught my eye cause it was deep for it's length. As far as cruising 25-50 that isn't a problem because I never need to do that.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a 28 td is a deep boat that will eat up the washing machine stuff and handle the 3 foot rollers. Anything over three feet will have to be driven.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Like it was said earlier, an older 28TD with 385hp will run 81 - 85. Three to four footers is all you want to run if it's for a long period of time. Anything under 55 - 60 in rough water will get you wet from the spray coming out of the tunnel and over the bow. I have a windshield that I can duck behind when it sprays, but the rear passengers don't.

I used to take my 26' Powerquest to Lake Erie once in a while, but I will not take my 28TD. Running in the big rollers would not be any fun like it was in the V.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rbtnt
Like it was said earlier, an older 28TD with 385hp will run 81 - 85. Three to four footers is all you want to run if it's for a long period of time. Anything under 55 - 60 in rough water will get you wet from the spray coming out of the tunnel and over the bow. I have a windshield that I can duck behind when it sprays, but the rear passengers don't.

I used to take my 26' Powerquest to Lake Erie once in a while, but I will not take my 28TD. Running in the big rollers would not be any fun like it was in the V.
Thanks for the info that's the kind of comparison I was looking for. I knew it wouldn't take the rollers as well but I wanted to see what it could handle. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too!
Old 10-07-2006, 05:57 AM
Registered

i run my 234 edge and my 27 daytona from pentwater up and down the coast just for a dinner run the 234 runs side by side most 27 ' boats but will not handle rollers the 27' daytone though has no problem wiyh th rollers butt i also run a deep X on the props and love the hang time when i hit a odd timed wave on lake MI. also lake st. clair can be good for a laaaarge chop and a very conf. wave direction .