Notices

Results of 5 Blade Maximus on my 2007 Daytona

Old 04-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Results of 5 Blade Maximus on my 2007 Daytona

The season has begun!

I took delivery of my '07 28 in Sept of last year that came w/stock 4 blade merc 32's. I have twin 496HO's (stock) with Bravo drives 1.36 gear ratio.

With the 4 blade props, I was able to squeeze 100mph out of it in ideal conditions - but depending upon load, it would run anywhere from 92-98 consistently.

The center of my prop appears to be about 1" lower than the bottom of my hull. No cavitation plates. No stand off boxes.

I started the season off on Sat, and put on 5 blade 30's.

The extremely obvious difference was the hole shot. With the 4 blade and full tanks of gas, it took some serious finess to get on plane...with the 5 blade - I am up on plane easily at around 2400 RPM's and fullt anks of gas with 5 guys in the boat....with the 4 blade, I would have to move people up front to get on plane with full tanks of gas.

With full tanks of gas, I was able to get 94mph with the 5 blade - 65 degree air temp, less than 1 foot of chop.

With 1/2 tank of gas I was able to get 96mph - I have a feeling, I'll gain another 1-2 mph once I consume more fuel and get down to about 1/4 tank.

Some other interesting observations:
1. My port RPM's are about 200 higher than my starboard engine. So at WOT and trimmed up to about 3.5, my port engine will be running at 5100 while my starboard engine runs about 4900. I manually trim out the starboard, or trim in the port engine to try and synch them up, but I found this curious - any thoughts why this may be occurring?
2. Boat pulls slightly to Port at certain speeds - I notice that I have to slightly continually steer to starboard while under way at certain speeds - what do you think explains this?

I've seen other posts where people seem to be consistently breaking the 100mph mark w/496's on 28's....what do I need to do to achieve similar results - wll standoff boxes help? What kind of gains would boxes provide?

I am concerned about doing any engine mods like CMI headrers, because I just have the Bravo drives which are only rated for 450 hp I believe.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Registered

IMHO- you are right there- there are "best speeds" and everyday speeds, especially in cats- lots of variables. My old 25 Daytona had a best of 99.0, mid summer pigged out might hit 90 but usually mid-high 80's. cool temps, 93-95 any time with light load. I'ts going to take more engine if you want 100 every day
Old 04-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are those numbers from a stock or labbed maximus?

If it is stock I would try a P5x.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seeing how the 4 blades would get you on plane I would use 1" shorter lowers and the 5 blades and see, maybe ever 2" shorties. You might have stamped 30p but if they are off slightly compared to each other can account for your rpm and pulling findings i.e. one is 30.5p and the other is 29.5p. Send them out to be checked and 'trued' and matched with or without full labbing of the props.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:01 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

I think you can get more than 500hp out of a bravo with some finess. It would be different if you had a 13k lbs boat and were hard on it.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
I think you can get more than 500hp out of a bravo with some finess. It would be different if you had a 13k lbs boat and were hard on it.
FWIW- when I had my 25, thjought I was pretty easy on it, gentle planing, no air time, about 625/650 ish whippled 454 mag, lost a stock bravo upper gear at about 60 hrs, bought the boat new, not an x1/xz/xr but stock 2001 bravo, I'd hesitate to go more than 550 N/A
Old 04-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cattitude
FWIW- when I had my 25, thjought I was pretty easy on it, gentle planing, no air time, about 625/650 ish whippled 454 mag, lost a stock bravo upper gear at about 60 hrs, bought the boat new, not an x1/xz/xr but stock 2001 bravo, I'd hesitate to go more than 550 N/A
I concur with this statement. I also had 25 . 502efi/Procharger and was easy as I could be on it at LOTO and it lasted about 50 hours. after that it was all down hill.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie
The center of my prop appears to be about 1" lower than the bottom of my hull. No cavitation plates. No stand off boxes.

Get out a long straight edge and confirm if this is true, if it is you will get more speed from a box. Buy pair of stellings boxes and you won't have to buy a shorty lower, it will put you up 2" and back about 12"

With 1/2 tank of gas I was able to get 96mph - I have a feeling, I'll gain another 1-2 mph once I consume more fuel and get down to about 1/4 tank.

Less weight = more speed no question. You should do your top speed testing on cold dry days with around 1/8 tank of fuel. As long as you can do it somewhere near a gas dock no more than 1/4. Take everything out of the boat you don't have to have by law and no passengers!

1. My port RPM's are about 200 higher than my starboard engine. So at WOT and trimmed up to about 3.5, my port engine will be running at 5100 while my starboard engine runs about 4900. I manually trim out the starboard, or trim in the port engine to try and synch them up, but I found this curious - any thoughts why this may be occurring?

Are the drives at the same level at 3.5 or are your indicators off? What kind of tachs do you have? Besides that i'm stumped

2. Boat pulls slightly to Port at certain speeds - I notice that I have to slightly continually steer to starboard while under way at certain speeds - what do you think explains this?

You're drives may be out of alingment or your tachs are reading incorrectly.

I've seen other posts where people seem to be consistently breaking the 100mph mark w/496's on 28's....what do I need to do to achieve similar results - wll standoff boxes help? What kind of gains would boxes provide?

See above, also if you don't mind spending the money if you switch to Raylar heads you will gain a little bit of power but you will also save a lot of weight the same may be true for changing the exhaust but I don't know what the 07 manifolds and risers weigh. The weight savings alone could be good for another 2-3 mph.

I am concerned about doing any engine mods like CMI headrers, because I just have the Bravo drives which are only rated for 450 hp I believe.
I think the stock bravo's will hold up with some more power but only because there are two of them to share the load of the boat. I wouldn't put on a supercharger but heads and exhaust will probably only get another 50hp per motor.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:11 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Cattitude

I wouldnt run 650 or 625 on a bravo of any type. But i think 500 is a safe number. IMO
Old 04-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie
The season has begun!

I took delivery of my '07 28 in Sept of last year that came w/stock 4 blade merc 32's. I have twin 496HO's (stock) with Bravo drives 1.36 gear ratio.

With the 4 blade props, I was able to squeeze 100mph out of it in ideal conditions - but depending upon load, it would run anywhere from 92-98 consistently.

I started the season off on Sat, and put on 5 blade 30's.

The extremely obvious difference was the hole shot. With the 4 blade and full tanks of gas, it took some serious finess to get on plane...with the 5 blade - I am up on plane easily at around 2400 RPM's and fullt anks of gas with 5 guys in the boat....with the 4 blade, I would have to move people up front to get on plane with full tanks of gas.

With full tanks of gas, I was able to get 94mph with the 5 blade - 65 degree air temp, less than 1 foot of chop.

Get a hold of BBlades Professional Propellers. He is the Maximus Expert. If they are not labbed that is your problem. YOu can get 400-600 RPM out of labing a Maximus. You may be able to turn labbed 32s which will give you more speed and mid range. Labbing them will also get your RPMs to synch.

Quick Reply: Results of 5 Blade Maximus on my 2007 Daytona

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.