Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Excalibur
42 Eagle Excalibur - Worth restoring? >

42 Eagle Excalibur - Worth restoring?

Notices

Old 12-12-2017, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

If it were me and you have the time and ability, buy it, get the engines and tabs out of it. The engines look like they may be diesels and I would guess TRS drives? After you do that much, decide it its something you want to mess with. It is not a racer and they struggle to bring $20K running here in the US.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TxHawk
If it were me and you have the time and ability, buy it, get the engines and tabs out of it. The engines look like they may be diesels and I would guess TRS drives? After you do that much, decide it its something you want to mess with. It is not a racer and they struggle to bring $20K running here in the US.
Jee, you might be right. No carbs on top of the engines... This would explain the black exhaust smoke stain around the muffler tubes at the stern. Thought about burning oil first, might be diesel exhaust though.

Dieselengines would make it even worth double here in Germany as Gas is not affordable as long as you have to buy 150 Liters per hour...

Have there been original diesels, I reckon not...

Christian
Old 12-12-2017, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 369 Likes on 248 Posts

Pictures are not good enough or clear enough to know type of engines

but chances are it ran TRS drives, or the upgraded ssm2 but i doubt!
Old 12-17-2017, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

If you do decide to do the resto, make absolutely sure you get the correct wiring schematics for the boat. I guarantee you wil have some electrical problems and chasing them blind is no fun.

And it definitely doesn't look like a high HP gasser. No power stereing hydraulics on the stern unless they have been removed.

Last edited by Barnacle Bill; 12-17-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:30 AM
Registered

Hi all and thanks so far!

I am sure that the wiring will need some total renewal.

Don't need no really speedboat... Let's see what's next after emptying the boat out and cut out all rotten stuff....

Will keep you posted.

Chris
Old 12-19-2017, 11:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by YunLung
Hi all and thanks so far!

I am sure that the wiring will need some total renewal.

Don't need no really speedboat... Let's see what's next after emptying the boat out and cut out all rotten stuff....

Will keep you posted.

Chris
I learned the hard way on my 38' excaliber to go through every bit of wiring. The genius who had it before me did some splices that were no good and were hidden in the wiring harnesses. Everything tested good when the boat was on the trailer, but when it got to moving around, my fuel pumps would lose pressure. I ripped all of that out and made new wiring harnesses. Best thing I've done for the boat as far as the electrical goes and now I have no issues.

As for yours, the diesels would be great to have. They'll get decent fuel consumption and can run on pretty much anything. We used some X-ray machine fluid when my dad worked for Picker International out of Germany years ago and the diesel motor we put it in ran like a champ. Even some cooking grease worked...but I wouldn't try the experimental stuff on the water. *lol*

If you have the time and patience, I'd say go for it and get the boat. When you are finished, you'll have a new boat that you know inside and out.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:21 AM
Registered

Default Engine pics and info

Hey all!

Been to the boat today, took some pictures.
Someone removed the enginecompartmentcover-cylinder and also the aft end hinge bolts of the hatch hinges. Perhaps wanted to lift if off... Together with the fact that the drives are missing, this may lead to anyone trying to rob these parts in the past.

However, the engines are definitely diesel V8s and the air intake cast parts are saying "mercruiser", as far as I could see in the dark.
COmparing pictures in the net, I would assume that these are GM / Detroit V8 Engines. Can anyone confirm this?
While viewing all the cable running down the inlets, maybe 6.5 tubecharged detroit duramax?
If so, are there any specs to be found online anywhere?

The (four) exhausts at the stern have rubber caps showing a "marine power" sign and label, opening them, you find shafts inside (horizontal). One of the shafts has some rest pieces of something looking like a flap attached. Can anyone tell if this was original stuff, or if I have any kind of adjustable / switch over exhaust system?

Nice looking boat, though. found teak underneath the rotten carpet... Most of the switches are working (well: are moving).
COuple of shore power connections flying around. Someone without any sense of electricity was working on that one, I assume.

Will get back as soon as I have the confrimation that this will become mine...

image upload

All the best!

Christian

Last edited by YunLung; 12-21-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:24 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

No. IMHO.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB

No. IMHO.
Why?
Old 12-28-2017, 03:30 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Soaked soggy mess.

Extremely few people in this country that would take on this project and finish it...no, I'm not talking professional shops....actual people that would buy and do all the work and get it on water and enjoy.

And I did type in IMHO,which stands for In My Honest Opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.