Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Excalibur
42 Eagle Excalibur - Worth restoring? >

42 Eagle Excalibur - Worth restoring?

Notices

42 Eagle Excalibur - Worth restoring?

Old 12-11-2017, 05:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 42 Eagle Excalibur - Worth restoring?

Hi, folks!

My name is Christian, I am from northern Germany and recently found a neglected 42 Excalibur in one of my companies facilities... No owner, just someone who wants to get rid of it and make a few bucks.
Its lying on a three axle street legal trailer (not easy to find in Germany!) for at least 2 years, I reckon ( in fact the google maps sattelite pictures I can see it on are 2 years old).

Unfortunately this beauty sits there for a long time fully open now (no cover, cabin door open, etc.) and without both drives. Its dirty and shabby looking, and there's plenty of moisture inside the cabin. Someone already removed the upholstery, but the cushins are all there.
Everything is not in a good condition, to be honest, it looks like a wreck.
BUT: It seems that not much is missing. All doors and windows are okay, all cushins are there, all instruments and gentry parts, the rollbar is there. The hull seems to be undamaged, although I cannot see to much details through the dirt. Need cleaning/polishing before I can, I assume.
What's missing is the two drive components, although the transom flanges (gimbals?) are there.
And I couldn't take a view into the motor compartment, so I dunno if the engines are there or not...

However: I fell in love with his boat, even more after finding catalogue pictures of the 42 eagle in the web.

Would it be worth to restore something like this, or would I find too much wet glass coat / gel coat and too rotten hull parts after disassembly?
Its not matter of money, when it comes to all bolted parts, or even with the missing drives and / or engine.
I will have enough room to store this racer inside or at least under a shed outside to work on it and it would probably be a VERY long term project, as I have a BIG lack of free time at the moment.
My father in law, my wife and we, we are leading a mid sized engineering company, designing and fabricating mainly super yacht equipment (60m+), technical deck equipment, such as hatches and drives, cranes, masts, launching devices a.s.o., so I have NO lack of carpenters, painters, polishers and professional equipment for all works on board of this sleeping beauty.....

It "just" a question of whether the hull being a wreck after too much water ingress, or if it is restorable.
I know that the answer must be impossible from the other side of the ocean and without any pictures, but maybe there are some general issues regarding these boats/hulls that may help my decision?
Or help me to come to my senses...
The biggest point making me think of this anyway is: I will probably get this nearly for free.
I may have to pay a little amount for the trailer, but this will be around 1 k€ or something. It's worth double at least as a non-street-legal habour trailer anyway.

So far, I didn't take detailed looks, nor did I take any pictures.
I have been inside, opening the stair hatches and one or the other cabinet door and felt like coming home. Like it was calling me. (Anyone read the book "Christine" by Stephen King?)

Just wondered, if anyone could talk me out of this.......

As I didn't find ANY information on these Wellcrafts in Germany, I registered here and hope for some advice.

All the best and many thanks in advance!

Chris(tian)

Last edited by YunLung; 12-11-2017 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

Just like any other vehicules, boats, cars, bikes, whatever, they are never worth to restore. Specially if you need to pay to do it. You will never get back the money you put in it.
on the other side if you do a total resto, it will be almost like a new boat! So yes you will loose but your almost new boat will cost much less than a really new boat, but you will not have todays look, and todays hull efficiency.

the way i see it, lets say it will cost you 50 to 70k, you might sell it in 7 or 10 years for... 40k ? Thats a 10 to 30k loss in 7-10 years

now buy a new 42. That must be aroud what? 300 k?
sell it in 7-10 years and you will loose a lot more than 10 to 30k !

that is the only way to say it worth it!!!
Old 12-11-2017, 06:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Before making your decision, take 15 minutes and read this thread all the way through....
Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

The boat you are looking at is probably in similar condition (from your description) only bigger! hblair did a beautiful restoration on a 30 footer and now has the 38 in his workshop. Everything he touches needs work and it's a huge project. Read his thread and it will give you some idea of what you should expect to restore the boat properly.

If you have the skills, money and patience, it's a nice boat to bring back to life but as Jeff suggested above, don't even dream about getting your money back.

Good luck whatever you decide, if you buy it, keep us updated, this is an invaluable place to get free help and information.

RR
Old 12-12-2017, 01:36 AM
Registered

Hey, all!

Many thanks for the replies and thoughts.

I made an appointment for a detailed inspection of that bunch of plastic during this week.
At the moment we are at an asking price of 2 k€ for the trailer, boat is for free on top

I hate modern round shaped things (like cars, bikes, boats, whatever). I have a 1952 Ferguson tractor with nice original patina and full restored technical equipment. I drove a 67 Early Shovel Harley until I swapped it against an old Triumph.
We can refurbish, draw and fabricate or order most of the boat's equipment via our company, we build electrical stuff (PLC control, wireless, instruments a.s.o.) hydraulic equipment (cylinders, power packs a.s.o.) as well as all mechanical (gangways, hatches, davits, cranes, etc. with own design, welding and installation departments), so maybe my personal costs going to be lower than expected

We'll see and I get back with pictures or a screaming face here...

Chris
Old 12-12-2017, 05:03 AM
Registered

Hm.

Just been there onboard.
Turf.
bilge and engine room seem to be okay.
Both engines there. Engine room equipment seems to be competely there. Incl. Batteries.
according to found docs on board, there has noone been there since 2005 or something.

The biggest problem was/is indeed Water coming from the open area, running freely through the cabin door.
Also the flat deck superstructure is turfing away, all cabin wall coatings are ... gone.

Some pics.
STill not sure about it.

Baddest thing I saw was the damaged radar bar, which had a big hole in the side arm surface gel coat and all the wood underneath rotten away. The question is: Where could the water rinse into from here?

Hm.
Will post some pics later on.

Chris
Old 12-12-2017, 05:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

The price, at 2k, is obviously ok. If you want it, prepare for the worst case scenario.....

Engines may be all busted up
Assuming it's set up for TRS drives, parts may be very hard to get in Germany
Transom, stringers, bulkheads may be full of rot

It's still a cool old boat if properly restored. Look forward to seeing a few pics.

RR
Old 12-12-2017, 08:46 AM
Registered

Some pics with the next post, just download from my mobile.

We are now at 800€ for the trailer
It was really street legal, still got a number plate on it. Tires are busted, probably pneumatic hoses for brakes also, but rest is looking quite good. Gross weight of 12 tons. Should be worth at least 3 to 4 thousand with fresh TÜV badge. (thumbs up!)

Regarding the price, the really nice lines of the hull and the still once in a lifetime chance to own such a nice oldtimer "speed" boat, I probably have to give myself a project time schedule of 5 to 10 years.

Maybe I should calculate what a disposal of that whole boat costs and counterbalance with the worth of engines and trailer...

By the way: Many thanks for the comments so far here! Really appreciate it.
If I take that beauty, you will regret, 'cause I won't be gone for years

Chris
Old 12-12-2017, 09:04 AM
Registered

Oh: I need 10 posts to post image URLs..

Bah. So I will get back later and post some pics.

Chris
Old 12-12-2017, 09:19 AM
Registered

Old 12-12-2017, 09:20 AM
Registered

Its snowing at the moment here.
Will try to make pictures of the whole boat and cockpit once the snow is gone (probably end of the week).

Can anyone tell me which engines these are and which kind of Z-drives are missing?

Thanks all!

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.