Notices

42 Eagle Excalibur - Worth restoring?

Old 04-24-2019, 03:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!

Glad to see that anyone cares about this thread

However:
I am pretty busy with my job unfortunately, so I did not manage to do a lot "restauration" works.
I got the whole beast disassembled, fabricated a new companionway stairway and began with the anchor pocket refurbishing (the front end of the pocket bottom has not been "made" so water that comes through the cover runs freely through the bilge and ends up wetting my workshop floor. Will change that, laminate a new bottom to that pocket and drill external draining holes.
I refurbished a lot of the parts that I removed already, next step will be installing of new electrical wiring and refurbishing the engine / cockpit gauges.

I removed the whole interior and also the cockpit floor as it was wet and rotten. cut 3 inspection covers into the fuel tank and cleaned it properly. There were only approx. 50 L of Diesel left, so it was easy to drain and clean with the new manwholes.

Electrical main panel, fuses, shoreadapter etc. is all prepared and put away in a shelf, waiting for reinstallation.
Deckstuff removed also, railings, fittings, windows etc. for painting and refurb.

Painter has taken a look already.

Next big thing as soon as sun comes out is removal of the engines, putting them onto test-brackets in the workshop for further inspection / test run and then caring for a new transom.
The transomplate is rotten as far as I can see, mushrooms coming out of the wood already.

BUT this is the only thing that really is that bad and need a replacement. Stringers etc. are all looking very good.
Some spider cracks all around have to be taken care of prior to paintworks, but thats fine.

As soon as I have the engines out, I am able to handle the empty hull (weight) and to take it off the trailer.
Then my dad will care for the trailer stuff. We are both truck mechanics, so this is the smallest issue of all. But anyway it needs new tires, brakes, air suspension etc.

Yeah. Lots to be done still, but this is my freetime hobby and I love working on that beauty.
Already have plans for new pantry and dayhead furniture, wall covering etc.

AAAAAAAAnd:
I already mocked up the new boats logo and name

(C) (TM)

Loving it!!

Christian

Last edited by YunLung; 04-24-2019 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:18 PM
Registered

Default worth restoring

Hi Christian, sounds like you have this project under control. You will have a new boat when your done and you will know every square inch of it which will make you feel confidant and proud. I have been going thru my 42 eagle and updating things and like you will know it inside and out. I have to say this is the easiest and nicest lay out for electrical and servicing due to a great design with plenty of room to work. good luck and keep up the updates! Jon
Old 04-26-2019, 01:36 AM
Registered

Hey, Jon!

Thanks for your feedback!

Will show up with some pics during the weekend!
Have plenty of made during the last months... UNfortunately I don't have them here at work.

All the best!

Chris
Old 08-07-2019, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Lots of work i hope it gets completed
Old 08-08-2019, 09:07 PM
Registered

I am also hoping to see an update? A lot of work, but it will be something to be proud of, we need updated pictures?
Old 04-22-2020, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Hello guys! I just read this thread from start to finish. Chris, I am confident that you will finish this project, I had a 40 Excalibur Hawk and I loved it. Someone (TXHAWK) did all the restoring of my boat before I bought it. But I do know it was ALOT of work. I give you much respect taking on a big project like this. Most people have no idea the work involved in restoring a boat of this calibur! Post up some updated pics please!
Old 04-22-2020, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

Kreed you are right! time to update this tread from the OP !
The following users liked this post:
kreed (05-05-2020)