Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Transom replacement gone wrong >

Transom replacement gone wrong

Notices

Transom replacement gone wrong

Old 05-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new floor I kept about 1/8-1.4 from the hull. But when I glassed the new floor in I couldn't get a fat radius so I just let it settle in where it wanted... at this point it's a give and take.

I used 3/4" and glassed the bottom once (heavy) and the top has 2 layers. I didn't leave any openings except for the sending units. I know it's a bit heavier than the stock piece, but it's sturdy as hell! and I really don't think I need to worry about another 20lbs in a tank.
Attached Thumbnails Transom replacement gone wrong-floor-second-layer-glass.jpg  
Old 05-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Registered

Oh, see the stbd gunwale... I couldn't help it! someone needs to take the saw from my hands! More on that when I get to the fairing.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Registered

Poof... bildge ready! that was easy!
Attached Thumbnails Transom replacement gone wrong-bildge-making-progress.jpg  
Old 05-26-2007, 11:58 PM
Registered

Here's where I screwed the pooch... this one may be important to transom 1st timers (like me). I didn't get the grinding right on the inside of the hull (where the transom was). I had it good and flat but I paid no attention to thickness. I knew the hull was about 1/8" thicker on the outsides compared to where the drives mount. I didn't think anything of it... it was flat so I epoxied that heavy wood in like crazy! Unfortunately what that did was pull the outside of the hull out of whack. I had to add a couple layers glass on the outside of the hull to get it flat again (brown areas).
Attached Thumbnails Transom replacement gone wrong-transom-outside.jpg  
Old 05-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Registered

It's all better now... but not without a fight.

I first tried to use Awlgrip, 545 primer then roll and tip. No way did that work! Damn I suck at that!! It looked like a monkey painted it... or one of the 'local' boat crooks. So I sanded it flat and tried to spray the stuff on. It looked pretty damn good, shiney as hell, thick looking (if that makes sense) all except for 2 places where I let it run and a couple wasted bugs. I couldn't fix it... no wet sanding allowed. So third try I went to Awlcraft 2000. Sprayed right on, wet sanded the bugs and runners no problem. It's my new favorite paint. I'll use the awlgrip with some of the grit addative for the floor (when it's ready ready)
Attached Thumbnails Transom replacement gone wrong-transom-outside-done.jpg  
Old 05-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Registered

I needed some parts for the other gimbal so I figured I'd get on that dash. I hated the black color and the old gauges and the old binacle. I'm not a real retro fan unless it's like a 50's wood boat, so I made some changes. I had to move the steering wheel way over (maybe too far) because I'm putting in some Fountain seats. That's right Fountain seats in a Scarab... stranger than fiction!
Attached Thumbnails Transom replacement gone wrong-dash-work.jpg   Transom replacement gone wrong-dash-primer-no-fairing.jpg  
Old 05-27-2007, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

That's right Fountain seats in a Scarab... stranger than fiction
being a well craft owner who has done transom and stringer work..we can probably let you slide on that..but if you start glassing on a beak..thats it..your a dead man!!!!
Old 05-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Registered

Here's where I'm at today. I still only have primer on the dash and floor. I want to glass the bulkheads in and get the lower section of the dash built.

Here's where I'm stuck. I'm wanting to make a lower step in order to climb up on the deck easier. But I don't want a trip hazard for me to stub my toe on. I put the seats in to help figure it out... I'm thinking it's going to have to be something that folds away. Anyone seen anything that might work?
Attached Thumbnails Transom replacement gone wrong-semi-assembled-cockpit.jpg  
Old 05-27-2007, 01:10 AM
Registered

Glassing on a beak... LMAO!

Last edited by jackhammer; 05-27-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:34 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

hmmm..how about building the sides of the cockpit down to the floor, you can then recess in a little storage cubby, a cup golder and recess in a step,,

Quick Reply: Transom replacement gone wrong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.