Notices

Paint or Gel

Old 08-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint or Gel

gonna redo my new project cat and trying to decide the pros and cons of paint and gel, I would really like to paint this thing myself and am confident in my ability to paint but I have absolutely zero experience with gell, and a lot of my friends are trying to talk me into Gelcoat.

any thoughts??
Old 08-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Registered

Default Re: Paint or Gel

I definitely wouldn't use gel, way to much work and the shine won't last like paint will. Paint is much easier to touch-up.
TB
Old 08-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the hullsides of my boat painted to cover up the big honkin' M U R A L the previous owner had put on the boat
The deck is still gell and Im always having to buff it up and mess around with it to keep it up........the paint.......grime.....scum line......just wash it off like you would your car......bada bing.......done
Old 08-31-2005, 06:36 AM
Registered

thanks for the help guys, the argument Ive been gettin from some people is that gel is easier to maintain and repair..i.e. dock rash. What is a good paint to use regular base/clear, Imron???? Also how long will I be able to leave a painted hull in the water without blistering?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:30 AM
Registered

On my 89 272, the white gel on the deck needed to be rubbed out every few years and the Imron on the deck looked brand new all the time.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Registered

I don't think your friends have re-gelled. Butcher and PMT are right. Long lasting durability and gloss with minium labor and expense. I will repost my take on single-stage vs base/clear.
It has been my experience that if u are going to paint a solid color, use single stage. Metallic colors are best done in base/clear. I like urethanes on gel because you don't need to prime/seal if surface is good.(save $ and T). I also like the option of using clear on last coat or after sanding paint w/#500-#600 after painting then a light color dust coat before 2 coats of clear. The urethanes are more chemical resistant throughout whereas B/C isn't. You will also have a over spray problem (mainly on deck) that will work a tack man hard if the booth doesn't draw properly.I try to single stage large projects as much as possible because of saving $, time, and is cleaner to spray; use clear to minimize UV deteriation as suggested.G$