Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
What to mix with polyester resin? >

What to mix with polyester resin?

Notices

What to mix with polyester resin?

Old 01-27-2006, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Default What to mix with polyester resin?

What can I mix with polyester resin to bond my wood together? Can I use west system products (like 404 powder glue or others) with polyester resin or are they just for epoxy?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: What to mix with polyester resin?

Are you trying to fill voids? If you are just trying to bond to pieces to gether to make a thicker piece then I would drill a ton of holes in one of the boards to let the air out. Then I would put a heavy coat of just resin on both sides and load them up with a ton of weight. I have used sand bags in the past. If you do need a filler, yes you can use Cavosile (sp) or the west system products.

Jon
Old 01-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use epoxy not polyester. Epoxy is the standard for building or repairing wood boats or parts. Also it will prevent water intrusion if the part is sealed propely. As for filler use cabosil, also called fumed silica to thicken the epoxy. I have built several stock outboard race boats useing epoxy to glue the wood together and then seal the boat and have had exellent results.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks guys
Old 01-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A mistake many people make when bonding woods, or fiberglass to wood, or cured fiberglass to cured fiberglass is too much weight or pressure. People tend to squeeze out all the resin and leave the laminate too dry.

When bonding wood together with polyester first use an absorption coat. Which is resin reduced with acetone so it get a litle bit deeper penetration into the wood and the acetone flashes off. Then resin and fiberglass and just enough pressure to raise the resin through the weep holes. If you want it to be flat make sure you use even pressure until it's fully cured because the polyester or vinyl-ester resin will shrink and could cause warping.

If your working on a wooden boat as mentioned befor use epoxy. To fill gaps mix in some wood flour.