Notices

Wet Sanding 101

Old 09-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bottoms Up
do you have a shop? I would be curious to see some before and after phoo's of boats coming back from being a chaulk board. New boats have alot of shine to begin with. We need to see some more photo's and try a sample before deciding if the products wouuld make a diffrence. The produsts we use are a combination. some are better for gel then paint.

Please send a small sample of your product to me and I can give you my professional opiion on the product.

Bottoms Up
1397 Horizon Dr.
McHenry, Il. 60050

Thanks ,, Billy
Billy,

Have you read anything about me or visited my website? Alot of people have posted their before and after pics on the board and you will also find feedback from Jamie at Lakeside, GlassDave, Monstaa and many other fellow OSOers. Are you wanting pictures of wet sanding results, so you can see how it will improve the finish of a boat?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Registered

Wow Ginger and everybody that hasn't taken the time to read about me. First of all, I'm a BOAT Detailer with a chemical background. I don't do fiberglass repair or any type of boat repair besides Detailing & finish restoration. I have two Marinas that I service pretty much full time. Besides my wife and I, we have eleven employees we run from April - early September to keep up with the work load. My yearly averages are 11-14 boats per week. Ginger, I've been detailing boats for over 10 years and I've never heard of you.

FYI, I've been designing and testing my own products for years and only recently put them on the market this past year.

As far as this thread, some fellow OSOers wanted to know how to detail their boats. I'm not giving away any trade secrets or taking food out of your mouth or bottomsup.

To find out more about me, please visit my website or read some of the boat wax threads.

BTW Ginger, My Leverage Polish is on alot of your customer's Skaters and quite a few of the race boats. Have a great evening.

Thanks, Donnie

Last edited by marineclean; 09-05-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by runninhotracing158
ABSOLUTELY, if any of you guys have had good luck with this stuff let us know,Winter is coming and it we'll be time to do some wett sandin, BUFF & POLISH
Check these threads out.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=140741
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=167811
Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 32velocity
yes,, it would be nice to see some before,, and after,, and 6 months later pics ,, posted ......same angle etc...
We've got a 36' SeaRay I've finished starboard side on and halfway done port side. I will get some pictures tomorrow of that as well as three 42' SeaRays I've done in the past two years and also some other Houseboats, Ski boats and Cruisers.

Donnie
Old 09-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I skimmed through the threads and there has been of discussion on using a "Hi Speed" buffing wheel. What is considered hi speed? I have a Black and Decker Buffmaster which has variable speeds (1000 - 3000 RPM??) and I have found that when using a coarse compound it cuts more oxidation running at a lower speed (1000? RPM) and when I am ready for a final polish I still only run it at @ 2000 RPM. The higher speed seems to break down the coarse compound and give a fairly good gloss. Am I missing an easier way to use my buffer? By the way, I have found if I used a very coarse compound (tiger cut or 3M #85) I can get excellent oxidation removal without sanding...
Old 09-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Registered

Hi Inspector,

All of my buffers are variable speed 1000-3000RPM. You're about right on with it's use. It all depends on the condition of the boat and what you're trying to accomplish. I do run mine at higher RPMs for finishing. As far as the oxidation, it all depends on condition etc...I have found it easier to wetsand on some for best results and perfection.

It's really hard sometimes telling people what to do on their boats without seeing them in person. I use the experiences of myself and my employees to help solve others' problems. Sounds like you're doing great and getting some good exercise with the buffer.

Donnie
Old 09-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Registered

Donnie,, I read the complete thread about boat wax 1 coat per year, before I replied about before and after pics and even 6 months from now..
I've seen the pics people have taken after ,, and they shine,, but what did they look like before? and what will they look like in 6 months? I routinely go to the Michigan city in water boat show every year and and car shows and see products ,, that promise everything and I keep thinking "if its sounds to good to be true"
I also like the idea of only having to wipe down my boat with water.
My boat looks good and the sides shine really well,, the topside is smooth but dull ,, not too much oxidation. the boat sees sun only when we're out on the lake , is leverage the ticket?
also the scum water line from a day on the lake will wipe off with water is that correct?,, thanks Bob
Old 09-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Registered

Hi Bob,

Thank you for taking the time to read most of my threads and replies. I understand about the to good to be true, but that is what hard work and technology are all about. I've worked on my formulas for years and spent alot of time testing for what I was looking for. You are correct about the longevity and only using water to clean your boat and wipe off the water line once leverage is applied. Depending on the oxidation, you might need to hit it with a buffer first. I'll be on quite a few of the docks tomorrow, so I will get pictures of some past and present work.

Thanks, Donnie
Old 09-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Registered

Start with some pictures.

2006 48' SeaRay Polished in May. I keep it clean weekly with water and a towel.
Attached Thumbnails Wet Sanding 101-s7000336.jpg   Wet Sanding 101-s7000337.jpg   Wet Sanding 101-s7000338.jpg  

Old 09-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Registered

This is their other SeaRay we also did at the same time and maintain weekly
Attached Thumbnails Wet Sanding 101-s7000332.jpg   Wet Sanding 101-s7000333.jpg   Wet Sanding 101-s7000335.jpg  

Quick Reply: Wet Sanding 101

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.