Notices

Bottom Paint

Old 11-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Bottom Paint

Whats the best way to remove it? What needs to be done to the bottom afterwards ?
Old 11-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I have had reasonably good luck with easy off oven cleaner and a power washer. Its a pain in the azz but there really is no easy way. All i do is spray on the e-z-off and let it sink in for a while then scrape off what ya can and maybe use a scuff pad and lacquer thinner for the tuff stuff. It will most likely not leave a perfect clean surface but will get ya headed there. You will need to combine it with a lot of sanding and buffing if you are looking to bring back anything close to the original running surface. If it was properly sanded and prepped prior to bottom paint it will require even more elbow grease. Sorry but the only other way is to have it professionally media blasted (often well worth the money) even then you will still have to sand and buff.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Aircraft stripper with a pressure washer. you can"t let it sit to long because it starts to harden and do it in the shade one side at a time.It will not remove the primer.That you have to sand or buff off. Put it on with a paint roller thick.It will depend on how many coats of paint you have but it works great.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bottom paint or antifouling paint? Are you wanting it removed permanently and retain the original gel, or repainting?

I used 8 cans of the $4/can of Easy Off to remove the antifouling paint on my cruiser juast a few weeks ago, after using the $100/gal marine paint stripper that didn't work. Sprayed it on, waited a few minutes then scrubbed it off with a scrub brush. Came right off, all of it. Be forwarned though, Easy Off also takes off skin in a matter of minutes! The stuff was running down my arm while working on the bottom and soaked my sleeve. I was using gloves, mask, saftey googles, coveralls to be safe. Just didn't account for the dripping Easy Off. 5 trips to see a general surgeon, talk of possible skin graft, scrubbing dead skin off twice a day (have you heard a grown man cry from pain? ). 5 weeks later now and I'm on the down hill side of healing. Be carefull!

BTW, I recieved estimates to have all the bottom soda blasted off (includes the barrier coating) as high as $4000. Have read of some having it soda blasted and having the gel damaged. I did just the antifouling for under $50. The barrior paint was good and will recieve another coat before new AF paint goes on in the spring.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

holy crap! point taken.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, add that on top of the unknown rotten transom. Last week I was to the point of listing this boat for free, just to get it out of my sight. You bring trailer, get it out now.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 11-29-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the product we use on all our boats @ the marina I work @ this stuff works great and wont send you to the ER. They make two products that we use one strips it to the gelcoat the other wont go past the epoxy barrier. Good luck with your project.

http://www.peelaway.com/html/peelaway.htm#marine2
Old 11-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Yeah, add that on top of the unknown rotten transom. last week I was to teh point of listing this boat for free, just to get it out of my sight. You bring trailer, get it out now.

WTH is going on with my post, there were 5 pics, now I just see 3 that are cut off at the bottom?
The transom on your Baja is rotted? How did that happen we have a 1994 340 Baja MY. I'm just curious I never heard of them having any problems. Hope your arm heals ok looks very painful.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Registered

Another fanatastic marine paint stripper is by Sea Hawk. It is one of the best strippers out there. The Peal Away works well too.

I have used them both and the trick is to keep them moist. You can do this with a light misting (with a water hose) every hour or two. Or some folks even seal it off with plastic so it will not dry out.

Do you know how many layers of bottom paint are on there? The more layers, the longer you should leave on the stripper. it will take off 10-12 layers of bottom paint. (And it wont remove your skin!) Ouch!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Belt sander and gas mask.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.