Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
well it has begun (transom replacement) >

well it has begun (transom replacement)

Notices

well it has begun (transom replacement)

Old 07-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well as noted in my post earlier today, this is BY FAR the worst part of the job. I spent the rest of the day with the air hammer and chisel bit just chisling away at it. Once I was done with that I started sanding to get the remaining wood away and to create a surface that the new glass will bond to. I made a run to home depot to pick up some various forms of material removal since I wasnt satisfied with how fast the chisel was going. $30 later I had some flap wheels (40grit) for my 4 1/2" grinder and some 24 and 36 grit for my 7". Let me assure you that sanding it, even with 24 grit, is still slower than just sitting there letting the chisel eat!! It was recommended that I try an electric hand plane, but I dont have one nor does my wood working buddy, so that was out.

After a long (930am - 600pm with only a trip to the store and lunch in there) and fiberglass dust filled day, I only have about 25% of the transom left to prep for the new wood!! With any luck, a couple more hours of sanding will have it completely prepped!!

here you can see what is left

overall good progress what made... what more can i ask for??

Due to working 70 hours in 4 days last week, I will be off wed-fri so I will be busting it!! I am starting to see that light at the end of the tunnel!! I would like to have it ready for the motor by sunday night!!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawk232
Well as noted in my post earlier today, this is BY FAR the worst part of the job. I spent the rest of the day with the air hammer and chisel bit just chisling away at it. Once I was done with that I started sanding to get the remaining wood away and to create a surface that the new glass will bond to. I made a run to home depot to pick up some various forms of material removal since I wasnt satisfied with how fast the chisel was going. $30 later I had some flap wheels (40grit) for my 4 1/2" grinder and some 24 and 36 grit for my 7". Let me assure you that sanding it, even with 24 grit, is still slower than just sitting there letting the chisel eat!! It was recommended that I try an electric hand plane, but I dont have one nor does my wood working buddy, so that was out.

After a long (930am - 600pm with only a trip to the store and lunch in there) and fiberglass dust filled day, I only have about 25% of the transom left to prep for the new wood!! With any luck, a couple more hours of sanding will have it completely prepped!!

here you can see what is left

overall good progress what made... what more can i ask for??

Due to working 70 hours in 4 days last week, I will be off wed-fri so I will be busting it!! I am starting to see that light at the end of the tunnel!! I would like to have it ready for the motor by sunday night!!
Buy a Belt sander from HoME DEPOT. Use the nastiest belts they have for it. When you are finished, take it back to them and tell them it broke. They will give you store credit, and you can buy the rest of the stuff you need. I know a lot of guys who use the home depot tool rental program.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Registered

i actually have a belt sander, but found the orbitals to remove the material faster?? maybe my belt just wasnt coarse enough
Old 07-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Registered

A high of 94 today in baton rouge........my hat is off to you!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Registered

I would like to have it ready for the motor by sunday night!!
That is a very aggressive schedule, good luck!!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
That is a very aggressive schedule, good luck!!
thats how i keep the beer to work ratio in check!! otherwise it would lean more to the beer side!!

in all seriousness, i seem to work better under pressure. If i create a deadline for myself I am hoping I will be more dilligent at it.

hope to finish sanding and get the new transom cut and laminated together (outside the boat) tomorrow!!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Registered

thats how i keep the beer to work ratio in check!! otherwise it would lean more to the beer side!!

in all seriousness, i seem to work better under pressure. If i create a deadline for myself I am hoping I will be more dilligent at it.

hope to finish sanding and get the new transom cut and laminated together (outside the boat) tomorrow!!
Good for you, I tend to lean more towards the more beer side, been working on mine since January, but then again, we have an endless summer down here
Old 07-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Registered

well yesterday turned out to be a productive day!!

I finished up grinding:

then i took all the measurements i needed while lunch was cooking:

then i cut a template out of some 3.8 cdx that i had laying around:

made some slight adjustments here and there:

cut the new transom:

and even rounded the edge of the outer piece to help the glass flow over it better:

a huge thanks goes out to observer!! it is quite nice to not have to climb in and out of the boat to get crap all the time!! Though, I bet i can climb from the ground, up the ladder, in the boat, into the engine compartment and back out faster than anyone on this board right about now!!

Today I am going pick up some fender washers and other misc materials and the fiberglassing will commence!!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Registered

Looks good, how are you holding the new wood to the old glass? Are you going to make a putty for the edges of the wood where it meets the sides and bottom of the boat?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Registered

the wood wood will have screws through the back of the transom as well as 1x2 cut a hair to long to hold tension from the inside. I plan on using putty along the bottom on the initial layup, then once it has cured and i can remove the 1x2 i can get in there and put putty around all edges to round them off.

As far as the sides... formula was weird and didnt run the tranom all the way to the sides or top, its about 2" from top and 2" from side and bottom and about 10" from side at top.

Got all supplies just now, heading out there to get some work done!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.