Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Awlgrip on outdrive? >

Awlgrip on outdrive?

Notices

Awlgrip on outdrive?

Old 08-18-2015, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The spray can paint is not what it used to be even 5 years ago. I painted a few things with it this year and i had to re-do them because the paint really never hardened up. This is rustoleum professional enamel paint from a can applied in warm conditions.

So imron is better? why?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Imron is an epoxy I believe. ( I have a friend that does my painting ) The stuff is rock hard after a week. Every other paint I have used the sandy water at Hardy pond would erode it off. The Imron doesn't even get dull.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you can find imron in phantom black single stage thats the best . It will look powdercoated but have better uv resistance by far. Also real toxic. And somewhat harder to spray. Super expensive Prob best bang for the buck is moeller phantom for 10 bux a can and a cheap 30 dollar gun to get it on the object to be painted. That 10 dollar can of paint goes alot farther too when your not blowing it on at 50 psi through a plastic pinhole rattlecan nozzle.
to this day have not found anything even close to the old school green primers for aluminum.
imron with the right prep will go down on aluminum and it will stay ,even on aluminum heat exchangers ,drives ,cast blocks ect ect .
Old 08-20-2015, 10:36 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I hear you Too stroked - post # 10

Merc paint process is a very long one and is not from rattle can. Anyways a bit more info in post # 20 from this link below.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...-colour-2.html