20 Cig prep for paint. >

20 Cig prep for paint.

Notices

20 Cig prep for paint.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts
Default 20 Cig prep for paint.

My buddy bought a couple of the 20 Cigs that were for sell in that collection a bit ago. On one he has gotten the transom replaced and Hatch rebuilt and the guy is moving along with the other work. Couple of questions:
  • The glass guy is going to flip it and do the bottom, make sure no hook etc then gel and Awlgrip paint it. Is there any other bottom work these things need?
  • On the rest of the boat my friend wants me to design him a paint job and paint it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Not sure I want to do the paint work but I'll design him something. The glass guy was going to get everything fixed and then shoot white gel. He was wondering if I would be ok with that. Is a NEW layer of gel ok for the paint base? If I spray it I'll use a base coat/clear coat system, either PPG or Matrix. (I do like HOK for colors).

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 01-15-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not an expert, but why gel the bottom only to paint over it? This seems like a costly extra step. When I painted my hull, I just used epoxy primer-several coats and then sprayed Awlgrip. It looks like a great project!
Old 01-15-2019, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
I'm not an expert, but why gel the bottom only to paint over it? This seems like a costly extra step. When I painted my hull, I just used epoxy primer-several coats and then sprayed Awlgrip. It looks like a great project!
Don’t know and for that matter he may be doing just that. My buddy isn’t the best when it comes to things like this so he may have missed what the glass guy said.

i kind of wonder the same thing on the rest of the boat, after the prep why gel just to shoot paint over but I don’t know. Sure someone here will say.