Awlcraft2000 vs Awlgrip >

Awlcraft2000 vs Awlgrip

Notices

Awlcraft2000 vs Awlgrip

Old 10-25-2019, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Awlcraft2000 vs Awlgrip

Never been happy with the job done on my deck (only) after the massive resto/rebuild and am seriously thinking of re-doing it. I've got plenty of regular Awlgrip experience under my belt but now have the option of using Awlcraft2000.
I know that the main difference between the two is that only the 2000 is 'repairable' but does anyone have any real life experience in terms of one's durability versus the other ?
The sun out here is brutal and if one is better than the other it would help me in my choice .
Old 10-26-2019, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 597 Likes on 242 Posts

We completely stripped top to bottom and redid my buddies 43 choey lee sailboat 7’years ago in Florida. The guy that headed the painting Swore Awlcraft was the Chit Said he been spraying it since it came out.

6 years later in the Florida sun it still looks like the day we sprayed it. It lays out real nice and the price is quite a bit less than Awlgrip.
The following users liked this post:
SB (08-03-2020)
Old 10-26-2019, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

^^ Does that include the deck as well ?
I don't have a problem with how the hulls hold up with regular Awgrip , it's the decks that take the real licks. There was a small runabout out here that had a total Awlgrip job about 34 years ago. The hull was yellow , of all colors , and the boat was seemingly abandoned after it was finished. That hull still looks like it was just sprayed yesterday .
If there is a nice price difference between the two over here I'd be very surprised.
A long time back when Interlux introduced their 2 part high end paint system the local supplier couldn't give it away as good as it was. So what did he do ? He jacked the price up to meet or exceed Awlgrip and it started flying off the shelves !
Old 10-27-2019, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 597 Likes on 242 Posts

Yep the deck looks as good as new.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Yep the deck looks as good as new.
Good to hear. Especially considering that the boat no doubt lives outside all the time !
Old 08-03-2020, 01:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you complete your project?? wanting to paint the sides of my boat in Florida and have the same questions! thanks
Old 08-03-2020, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by speeder4life
Did you complete your project?? wanting to paint the sides of my boat in Florida and have the same questions! thanks
No movement on this yet unfortunately . Too many things 'gone wrong' in the last few months . It is still on the to do list though .
Old 08-09-2020, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion...It depends on what you want. If you are just doing a basic color go with the awlgrip, which is a single stage paint. If you are going base with graphics and clearcoat, you have to go with the awlcraft. It is not recommended to clear awlgrip. Durability awlgrip is a harder paint. If you are painting it yourself, do a search and maybe do a test panel before you tackle the boat. Awlgrip is way easy to run and shouldnt be sanded to remove runs.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by turbo rr
In my opinion...It depends on what you want. If you are just doing a basic color go with the awlgrip, which is a single stage paint. If you are going base with graphics and clearcoat, you have to go with the awlcraft. It is not recommended to clear awlgrip. Durability awlgrip is a harder paint. If you are painting it yourself, do a search and maybe do a test panel before you tackle the boat. Awlgrip is way easy to run and shouldnt be sanded to remove runs.
All I'm asking is if someone out there with years of Awlgrip experience has used both types and can vouch for if one is more durable than the other .
I'm only talking about a deck which would be plain white taking licks from the sun .
If I did a test panel (would need to do two actually , one Awlgrip and one Awlcraft 2000) I'd have to wait 10 years to get the answer I'm looking for
As for the clear coat advice , I agree even though it's a bit strange that Awlgrip does make it . I've seen a hull that had a flawless coat applied only to be sanded and clear coated and it didn't look any better afterwards. But years down the road the clear began crazing and cracking due to the lack of solids in it .
btw , isn't Awlgrip a two stage paint ?
Old 08-17-2020, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awlgrip is a single stage paint. On my cat I used awlgrip on the bottom and awlcraft on the sides and top. Used the awlcraft because I wanted graphics, so I had to base, graphics and clear. Awlgrip is stronger than awlcraft.