Notices
Formula

292 FASTech on the way!!

Old 11-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: 292 FASTech on the way!!

Originally Posted by Jigsaw89
Thanks for the pics and info, 4mulafastech! An insider's point of view is exactly what I'm looking for.

What does formula do with regard to bulkheads and 'coring' the sides of the hull? I've never seen anything like the continuous molded fiberglass structural grid, but it sure does look impressive.

Correct me if I'm wrong with regard to the build process - first they start with the bare fiberglass hull... then they insert the continuous molded fiberglass structural grid and fill it with foam... then they insert the fiberglass cockpit liner... and lastly they fasten down the fiberglass deck to the hull. Does Formula glass the deck to the hull and thru-bolt it? I'm really interested in the build process b/c they're great looking performance boats and I'd really consider buying one in the future.

BTW, great looking 292! Now if only winter would pass so we can get back to what we enjoy most... BOATING!
Thanks Jigsaw89! Yes, I'm sure this will feel like the longest winter in history to me and Kim!!

Regarding your questions, I have their really nice brochure on FASTech's. You can request one and a DVD from their website at www.formulaboats.com. I will quote some of their bullet points in the text below.

For the coring question on the sides of the hull - "Divinycell structural foam adds lightweight strength in specific areas as opposed to balsa contruction that absorbs water when improperly applied, and utilizing Coremat prevents surface print-through"

"Each hull is reinforced with a cutom-engineered matrix that is much stronger than the usual stringer system"

"A FASTech internal framework is a continuous-molded, one-piece fiberglass grid bonded to the hull with Plexus adhesive."

"The grid system, composed of woven fiberglass and AME 5000 resin, is filled with structural foam"

"Multiple spans in the grid are designed to distribute load forces over the entire hull."

"Rugged durability is vital offshore where wave action takes its toll on all but the strongest construction."

"Plexus, an industrial bonding agent, joins the deck and hull with an inseparable chemical meld."

"The deck and hull joint is also bolted together with 1/4" stainless steel truss-head bolts backed up with heavy aluminum plates at 18-inch intervals"

"This unyielding structure is vital offshore where wave action takes its toll on all but the strongest construction"

"Pultrusion reinforcement adds critical structural strength. During FASTech construction, custom-fabricated fiberglass shapes are positioned along interior gunwales"

"Chemically bonded to the hull with Plexus, these pultrusions provide increased back-up support with no hull distortion"

There's more, but you get the idea.... If you get close to purchasing a Formula, be sure to give Robert at Nelems Marine a call!!
Old 11-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for all the info, 4mulafastech! I just requested a catalog and dvd.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered a 353 sport. Latham steering is not a listed option. Formula had no problem putting it on my boat. A little extra safety goes a long way!!