Formula

Muffler Opinions?

Old 04-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Muffler Opinions?

Originally Posted by FormulaM2Formula
I'd like to do the clamp on GGB's but I only have 1" of tailpipe and the info I have says they need 2 1/2 inches. I'm not sure how difficult it will be to install the transom mount. Anyone done it?

Thanks,
Garrett

Garrett, It is not that difficult to do the transom mount ggb's, I was able to use the same holes of my old tips, Just have to drill all the way thru the transom, The old tips came off fairly easy using a 2x4 and inserting inside the tips from the outside with a up and down and side to side motion to break them free from the transom, You just have to drill out the holes all the way thru the transom from the out side to bolt the new tips on, Spray a little soapy water into the exhaust hose's so the tips slide into them easier.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cstobe
Where did you find info on CMI's new muffler? I was @ their website and did not see anything about a spring loaded muffler. I too want to remove the silent thunder & go with some mufflers. I would like to find a muffler that is quiet at idlle but gets louder with higher rpm. Did you give the drew marine shotgun muffler consideration? The march 2005 hotboat has a test of 22 clamp ons that I dug out of my archives last night. Thanks
Here's the information on the new CMI system.........

http://www.custommarine.com/media/index.php
Old 04-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formuladude312
Garrett, It is not that difficult to do the transom mount ggb's, I was able to use the same holes of my old tips, Just have to drill all the way thru the transom, The old tips came off fairly easy using a 2x4 and inserting inside the tips from the outside with a up and down and side to side motion to break them free from the transom, You just have to drill out the holes all the way thru the transom from the out side to bolt the new tips on, Spray a little soapy water into the exhaust hose's so the tips slide into them easier.
Thanks for the info! Do I need to seal up the new install with some silicone based sealant on the transom? Or I have some other stuff that is high temp that is a sealant.

Thanks,
Garrett
Old 04-16-2006, 07:34 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Once you dry fit everything and are ready for the final install use 3M 5200 for permanent install. Or you look at their 4200 but it has a longer cure time.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Registered

General use silicone sealant will eventually grow fungus.

I would use a marine sealant, but not 5200. You will never be able to remove anything sealed with 5200 without taking the gelcoat off with it.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by FormulaM2Formula
Thanks for the info! Do I need to seal up the new install with some silicone based sealant on the transom? Or I have some other stuff that is high temp that is a sealant.

Thanks,
Garrett

Garrett, There is a rubber seal that goes between the muffler and the transom, I used a bead of white lifecock between the rubber gasket and the transom.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:57 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

GGB is out of business.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Biggus
GGB is out of business.
OSO member Lofty is still a dealer.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

GGB is out of business.

Wow, That sucks, They made a great Muffler!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Registered

GGB is out of business.
This is definitely a rumor going around lately. I talked to Lofty (ONeil performance, don't have the link handy) a couple of days ago. He said that the mufflers are on back order, but he didn't say anything about them being out of business. Doesn't prove it isn't true, but I'd think he would let me know if he can't sell me a GGB and try to sell me something else.

Garrett

Quick Reply: Muffler Opinions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.