Headliner problem/question

Notices
Formula

Headliner problem/question

Old 01-08-2015, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by kevlar382
What else do you own that is 15yrs old and when something goes wrong they give you the parts for free ? What other boat company would do that ? Just wondering. Thanks
I do NOT own a Formula and this is really none of my business ,,
look at all the car recalls,,plenty of 15 year old cars getting replacement parts/repairs for free because the manufacture admits fault no matter how old the car is,,
Plenty of 15 year old boats out there with the headliners not dropping down,big difference in trying to get something done under warranty on a old boat and getting a manufacture to stand behind on something they had known issues with..

besides this thread started in 2006,,,boats were not 15 years old at that time..

I know everyone is loyal to their brand so I not picking on Formula,,,

to me its simple,,if someone is trying to get you to warranty something they abused like a torn seat,broken windshield,etc then you say sorry but NO,,
but in a situation like this were you have numerous boats with the same headliner issue,you bite the bullet and do whats right...
remember a headliner is something that is just there,for the most part nobody even touches it so it should not drop.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 752 Likes on 405 Posts

Assuming apples to apples, meaning headliners that are glued, it probably comes down to sun exposure more than it does to materials and boat manufacture. The '96 303 SR1 slipped behind me has a headliner that looks like the day it was installed at the factory. Why? Boat only sees sun when it is out on the water. I imagine had the boat seen more exposure to the sun due to being slipped or stored outdoors it would be a different story.

No manufacture should be on the hook for a 15 year old headliner.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boat is a 98, stored under a covered dock out of the sun since new and my headliner needs replaced too. I don't think it has anything to due with how the boat was stored. It's from a poor choice of material by Formula IMO. It's not just the old birds having the issue either, boats that are only a couple years old have had the same issue!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Registered

Interesting. I know of many Fastechs and SR-1's with no issues. Maybe it all comes down to how much glue the factory guy sprayed that day. Sunsation has had their share of headliner failures as well. One would assume sun expousre/heat would be the main contributor to failure. Or not.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Maybe it all comes down to how much glue the factory guy sprayed that day. Sunsation has had their share of headliner failures as well..
Dont think it has to do with glue,,it has to do with the material, the glue gets sprayed on the foam after a while the foam gets bridle and the vinyl separates from the foam,,

Does anybody remember all the GM cars in the 80s and early 90s with the droopy headliners? yep bad material issues,, it has nothing to do with the heat,,a black 1978 caddy with a good headliner gets just as hot as a black 1985 caddy with the droopy headliner,
Old 01-08-2015, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have replaced many headliners on cars and I can tell you from experience what causes most headliners to finally fail . Over time the foam deteriorates and what usually happens is moisture evaporates up into the headliner causing it to become heavy and thus you have a sagging headliner . And it doesnt take a whole lot of moisture to cause it
Old 01-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone that thinks that Formula should stand behind a 10+ yr old headliner is crazy!!! There are way to many variables (heat, humidity, leaky deck hatch) to determine what causes the failure. If you want a warranty buy a new boat.

Last edited by Patience...myass; 01-08-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Patience...myass
Anyone that thinks that Formula should stand behind a 10+ yr old headliner is crazy!!! There are way to many variables (heat, humidity, leaky deck hatch) to determine what causes the failure. If you want a warranty buy a new boat.
Very well said.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
Dont think it has to do with glue,,it has to do with the material, the glue gets sprayed on the foam after a while the foam gets bridle and the vinyl separates from the foam,,

Does anybody remember all the GM cars in the 80s and early 90s with the droopy headliners? yep bad material issues,, it has nothing to do with the heat,,a black 1978 caddy with a good headliner gets just as hot as a black 1985 caddy with the droopy headliner,
Formula must have used different materials then over the years. Otherwise, how can you explain why some boats are fine and others are not?

The reference above to humidity is another good point. Heat, direct or indirect, probably also plays a factor. Again, I know of 19 year old Formulas with perfect headliners so you cannot blame it on materials alone.

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 01-09-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Again, I know of 19 year old Formulas with perfect headliners so you cannot blame it on materials alone.
My point exactly ,,,manufactured do switch products/materials over the years,,19 years ago they used a better product..

one of you formula guys should call the company and ask them if they are using the same headliner material as they did back in 2000,,I would bet not....

Quick Reply: Headliner problem/question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.