New Formula Owner, exhaust question

Notices
Formula

New Formula Owner, exhaust question

Old 07-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Formula Owner, exhaust question

I have a 242 SS with a supercharged 502. I have every manual possible for all of the new items and upgrades on this boat and even a service manual, but no Boat manual I was wondering if there are any limitations on keping the plastic round plugs in or out of the Silent Thunder Exhaust while runnning, idling, cruising and going fast. Should I always keep them in, or can I always run them open?

Also, this boat has a 502 crate engine in it, and I asked the PO if it was a marine crate motor. He said yes, but I'd like to verify it somehow. Is there a way to tell?

Thanks,

Herb Mooney
Dillsburg, PA
1988 242 SS
Old 07-21-2006, 11:48 AM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

Default Re: New Formula Owner, exhaust question

leave out the plugs drill a few more holes cut a "doghouse" in the internal baffle... result a slightly louder exhaust.. leave the plugs in and that water that's in there quiets the exhaust. I would pull them everytime you put it on all the trailer
Old 07-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=I would pull them everytime you put it on all the trailer[/QUOTE]

If they are already out while I am in the water running, what am I pulling out when I put the boat back on the trailer?

So running with the caps out is ok, no damage to the exhaust or rear platform from the heat?

I was told by the PO that my exhaust has been "relieved a bit and the exhaust exit ports have been enlarged in the swim platform so I'm not sure if I really need to drill any more holes. I'll have to have one of you local Formula guys take a look to see what might have been done. Anyone in the MD PA area want to take a look in exchange for a few beers
Old 07-21-2006, 01:24 PM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

If They Are You Then Your Good To Go!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Located in Middle River, off the Chesapeake. Will be around the marina all weekend, let me know.

I would leave the caps out. I actually opened up the whole in the bottom of the box to 3-1/2", and added a second whole behind that one. Didn't need to do the doghouse bit. Exhaust got somewhat throatier, deeper, how 502's should sound. A little louder under cruise, but not annoying.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Treads
Located in Middle River, off the Chesapeake. Will be around the marina all weekend, let me know.

I would leave the caps out. I actually opened up the whole in the bottom of the box to 3-1/2", and added a second whole behind that one. Didn't need to do the doghouse bit. Exhaust got somewhat throatier, deeper, how 502's should sound. A little louder under cruise, but not annoying.
Treads,

I'm headed to a SW gathering on the Middle River Sat., what marina are you in and will you be around Sat? Are there any good ramps on the middle river? I used Rocky Point last time and it's really not that nice when there's a crowd waiting to pull out.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mooneys,

Going to the powerboat races at Kent Narrows on Sat. I'm located at Chesapeake Yachting Center, all the way at the end of Frogmortar Creek. Will be around the marina till about 9:00 am or so.

There is a ramp at Maryland Marina, on Frogmortar. I'm in a boatel, so I don't use ramps, but can check around.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Treads
mooneys,

Going to the powerboat races at Kent Narrows on Sat. I'm located at Chesapeake Yachting Center, all the way at the end of Frogmortar Creek. Will be around the marina till about 9:00 am or so.

There is a ramp at Maryland Marina, on Frogmortar. I'm in a boatel, so I don't use ramps, but can check around.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll give Maryland marina a call to see if I can put in there. We're about a 2 hour ride away so probably won't catch you before you leave. We'll have to catch up with you another time. Thanks again.