New Formula Owner >

New Formula Owner

Notices
Formula

New Formula Owner

Old 07-14-2003, 10:25 PM
kennythebus

Question New Formula Owner

Well, I just found this forum tonight and I am impressed. Last Labor Day I bought a 1995 271 with about 160 hours (I think). At any rate, it is a beautiful boat that is awesome when it is running and sickening when not (which it isn't now). The boat had some powerful audio modification and my son added satellite radio. Sound was crystal clear but kept running out of juice during tie ups. Called Formula and asked about hooking up a third battery in parallel to aux battery. No problem red to red and blk to blk. Worked fine, took longer to recharge. Decided to go one step further and hook up second cranking battery--still no problem. Then, yesterday, my son decided to rearrange the cables on the aux battery and distribute some to backup aux. I think he forgot to turn main red switch and shorted something out although the boat started and we went out to recharge. Bat gauge perked way up and I figured something was up. At any rate, boat died with all four batteries discharged(alternator apparently not working). We got towed to Marina and pulled it out of water (actually they did). We were convinced it was a breaker or fuse somewhere because it won't even fire the warning signal. We have looked everywhere and cannot find any blown circuits or fuses. It is a 502EFI which only runs 52GPS which seems slow based upon what I am reading here. HELP!!!

Kenny

Old 07-14-2003, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

need to let us know exactly what he changed around.

and welcome to the family.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome aboard Kenny,
I can't help with the sterio stuff and wiring but there are lots of guys here who can and will. Audiofn is pretty sharp with that stuff and he's a Formual owner!!

At any rate, 52 mph does seem mighty low for your boat. Give us some more details about your set-ups and we'll get that "bird" up where she should be. Props, trim settings at WOT, on board gear, hull condition (painted, dirty). All this stuff makes a big difference. So let us know, some smart guys on this board.

Again, welcome!!!
Old 07-15-2003, 07:12 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

On some motors there is a fuse at the starter. You may have popped that one. I assume you checked the breaker on the motor (ussually at the top back). From there I would test your switches. If he shorted something out he may have blown apart the inside of the switches. If you test all those things to be ok then you will have to break out the test light and go hunting. I am more then happy to walk you through the process if you need to. You will need a good test light with a long cord.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:30 AM
kennythebus

Question Reply to ThirdBird

ThirdBird

Hopefully Audiofin can help out. At any rate there are two Amplifiers and four large speakers installed beneath the rear seat which takes up precious storage space. When I first talked with Formula, they said the boat should run at about 62-63. I just installed a new REV 4 prop and it is quicker out of the hole, but still tops out at 52 GPS. WOT is about 4800. I boat at a reservoir just north of Indianapolis so there is no Formula dealer nearby. Thanks for any help on manuals or fuses. BTW, I bought Mercruiser manuals from Mercury in an effort to learn something about the boat. Thanks again.

Kenny

Old 07-15-2003, 07:59 AM
kennythebus

Troutly

It had a Mirage prop installed with a 21 pitch. The one I installed is a 19 pitch. The REV 4 is a Mercruiser product of the recent years. If the boat is a F271 model, wouldn't it automatically have the Fastech hull? I didn't know there was a different hull design for Fastech boats?

Old 07-15-2003, 08:12 AM
kennythebus

Audiofn

We have not taken apart the switches because they seemed to pop out OK (the round fuse like projection). Sounds like even if they appear to be OK physically, they could be non functioning. We didn't see a fuse on the starter. Would it be on the solenoid or in line on red wire? When testing switches, do you just look for positive voltage across the leads? One more question--Is there anything wrong logically or functionally with the battery setup as I have described it (two batteries on either side of motor for auxilliary and cranking respectively)? That would be four batteries altogether. The reason I don't believe that is a problem is because it worked fine for two full days until my son decided to "clean up" the look of the various cables and redistribute cables on the aux batteries. I am using the factory installed isolator switch which separates the cranking from the aux batteries and my son thinks that may be a problem although Formula never mentioned any concern when I posed the question of a socond auxiallry battery. Thanks so much.

Kenny

Old 07-15-2003, 09:41 AM
bowtie89

Default hey welcome

By any chance is that 52 knots my fathers gps shows knots not mph!!!! You may be at 60

Old 07-15-2003, 10:30 AM
kennythebus

bowtie

I am sure GPS is in mph because it correlates within a mile or two of factory speedometer. I am often on pretty rough water but I hardly think it accounts for 10mph. Thanks for the idea though on knots.

Kenny

Old 07-20-2003, 02:14 PM
kennythebus

Default Electrical problem solved

To all who responded to my recent dilemma regarding the discharging of the batteries after an errant connection by my son, he found the problem. There is a rectifier type device connected directly to the starter motor that was fried. It was nearly impossible to get to and ironically wasn't documented in the Mercruiser manual. Formula support alerted my son to its existence and he replace it. We ran all day yesterday just fine on four batteries and got most of them up to speed from a charging standpoint.

We were able to get the boat up to 54mph yesterday as the lake wasn't quite as rough. Still trying to determine why we aren't running closer to 60mph. There is a almost steam like spray coming out of the driver's side of the exhaust or drive when we first accelerate--it is not oil but really more like a water spray. All the guages seem to indicate no problem--but I was wondering if that had anything to do with speed situation. Thanks for any ideas.

Kenny

Quick Reply: New Formula Owner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.